The Family That Trains Together...!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one family training together. The mother and her daughter are both orange belts.

That's cool!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My questions for discussion are...

At the dojo/dojang/school that you train at right now, are any ENTIRE IMMEDIATE FAMILIES training together?

I have seen quite a few couples in the Tai Chi classes I am taking. Beginner's Tai Chi classes focus on forms, so there is no sparring.

I see a dad training together with his son and daughter, both under 10. Another couple brings their teenage son. The kids are learning the same Tai Chi forms as their parents.

But there is no belt ranking system in Chinese MA schools...

Shao Lin, Qin Na, San Da, Jeet June Do, Qi Gong

Currently Studying Chen Style Hunyuan Tai Chi under Master Wang Feng Ming

Master Wang's Website: https://www.worldtaiji.com

I'm not downing the ATA [American Tae Kwon Do Association based in Little Rock, AR], not my intent. I've noticed that the ATA has quite a lot of entire immediate families training up to BB!!

There is one slight issue around the concept of children and parents training together - the curriculum. Children and there parents can't be taught the same curriculum, there is a danger of compromising the art. Children can't or should not be taught various things : locking and choking methods : conditioning : contact sparring etc. For reasons of good sense, safety and long term health. But, to not teach these to the parent short changes them and compromises the effectiveness of the art.

This isn't always the case. Some things can be done in the same classes. Our school's attendance is down, so its not always feesable for us to have separate adult and childrens classes. We do this when we can, but right now we have gone to a mixed class setup due to the lack of bodies in the classes. The key to dealing with this is pairing. Kids can learn things from seeing adults in the classes, setting examples for them and the like. When it comes to sparring and one-steps, its about proper pairings. We are not an MMA school, so we don't have a lot of ground fighting and choking that we teach, either. It just depends on what the jist of the class is.

We currently have a father/son duo in our class, both white belts, and the dad just tested. My instructor and two of his children are both active, and all have dan rank. When I was younger, my whole family was involved in TKD for a time.

Myself, brother and nephew all train together.

We have only recently started our journey in Goju Ryu, loving every minute of training.

Very cool. Welcome to the MA journey; I hope you stay on it! :) Also, welcome to KF!!!

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Myself, brother and nephew all train together.

We have only recently started our journey in Goju Ryu, loving every minute of training.

Welcome to KF!!

Are you three in the same class or separate?