• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assuming the worst.

I'm a firm believer in Chi (Ki, Qi, whatever you choose to call it) and have had some first hand experience with it. Once I was at this Tai Chi demonstration and the head instructor was on stage saying he would demonstrate the application of Chi. He looked out into the crowed and picked me out specifically as a volunteer (I hadn't ever seen the guy before and was near the middle of the crowd, but he pointed right at me and asked me to come on stage). This was when I was still in Karate and my technique was quite good.

He asked me to punch him as hard as I could in the stomach to demonstrate how Chi could be used defensively. I was hesitant to hit this old man with one of my punches no matter what he said he knew so I threw a lighter one first. He stopped me before I got close and told me to punch again, this time to really do it. I shrugged, focused on my target and threw my hardest punch. It felt like everything was slowing down, especially my punch, and when I hit him he didn't even move.

*Shrug* I don't know if he was in excellent condition or was actually using Chi, but I believe what I experienced.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He stopped me before I got close and told me to punch again, this time to really do it. I shrugged, focused on my target and threw my hardest punch. It felt like everything was slowing down, especially my punch, and when I hit him he didn't even move. [/qoute] Based on this portion of the description, I believe I know what he was doing. I can do that one, and it's not about being tough.

I was playing with one like that a few weeks ago. Just to keep to my testing methodology, I took two reatively new students who were not into the energetic arts yet. I had one hold a pad and the other hit it. The pad-holder (as well as the hitter) both felt, in no subtle manner, the effect.

This would be a single-blind test as I did not tell them what I was going to do, and had reported the results I expected. The double-blind tests are more involved... perhaps we should start a thread so as to not continue pushing this one off-topic.

Hi Jerry, I just have a hard time believing what I have not experienced myself. I tend to look for a scientific reason for things of this nature. I work in a lab, its my nature,,,, However, if something works Id give it a try. :D :D It may just be a matter of superior technique.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.