• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Kukkiwon poomsae: Hanryu and Bikkak

I was reading a new book, Tae Kwon Do Black Belt Poomsae, Origninal Koryo and Koryo, but Richard Chun and Doug Cook, and I saw mention of two "new" Kukkiwon forms being proposed for Poomsae tournament competition.

I'm not really up to date in the WTF world, but did some looking to see what these forms were like.

Bikkak and Hanryu:

I believe the first is Bikkak, and the second is Hanryu.

Lots of kicking techniques, and kicking combinations. Advanced combinations, too, like the jumping round kicks and 360 round kicks, and the combo with the 360 jump side kick. There are also some interesting hand techniques and combinations. These probably aren't as new as I thought, seeing as the upload was in 2007. Can anyone with WTF shed some light on these forms? Are they rank specific, or "competition specific" forms?

Any thoughts on these?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not of WTF or the like, but...

I'm not surprised on the amount of kicks, seeing that the said style is a kicking MA. The second one had more hand techniques, and not as many kicks as the first one. Both were solid across the board!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The second one, I noticed, had some consecutive kicking aspects; front kick to target in front, and then consecutive side kick to the rear to another opponent. Different kicking aspects rather than jump kicking combinations.

I do like to see the use of kicks in the forms like this. After all, TKD likes to emphasize the kicking aspect of the style, and I like to see some forms that do that. Even though these forms look a bit tougher, I do think they would be managable techniques for many practitioners to perform.

Very similar to most karate's transitional kicks. Front kick to back kick. Front kick to side kick, and so on and so forth. Yet, making sure that the hips are properly utilized throughout each kick, and not just flopped out and dependent on mass alone.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Certainly the 1st felt very sparring like to me, especially the kicking combo and slide back sections. Looks quite complex with a high skill level needed. Although I'm not very familiar with the rest of the WTF poomse, these also had a more circular feel to me.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...
Certainly the 1st felt very sparring like to me, especially the kicking combo and slide back sections. Looks quite complex with a high skill level needed. Although I'm not very familiar with the rest of the WTF poomse, these also had a more circular feel to me.
From what I've seen of Kukki poomsae, I'd agree with your assessment there.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these poomsae never made it past the experimental stages. They were never rolled out to the general public. They are DOA as far as I can tell.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these poomsae never made it past the experimental stages. They were never rolled out to the general public. They are DOA as far as I can tell.
Huh, that's really too bad. They looked like they would have been rather challenging to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think someone filmed them at a demonstration and jumped to conclusions. The WTF has a creative forms division for competition therefore there is no need to add these to the traditional divisions.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Personally I think someone filmed them at a demonstration and jumped to conclusions. The WTF has a creative forms division for competition therefore there is no need to add these to the traditional divisions.

8)

The info I got was from a book by Richard Chun. It made mention of them being developed, so I went looking for them. I figured they would slot them into the black belt ranks somewhere.