• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coping with no Karate (a small account of times without Te)

n4tive

Hello,

I've been experiencing some mild depression/fustration as I haven't been able to practice due to family and work responsibilities (economic reasons as well) I've been practicing at home (hojo undo) several times a week for about 30 - 45 minutes. Eventually fustration kicks in and lately I've been lacking motivation.

At home I have too many distractions (son, wife, family, etc.) whereas in the dojo I can fully focus on Karate (Goju). To add to my fustration, money is becoming an issue as well, as paying $65/month for two sessions (all that I am able to attend) is, to say the least, affecting my budget, so there are times that I have to make a desition to either pay bills or Karate :(

I've been searching for other Dojos nearby (bit more affordable), but no luck. I was lucky enough to find a Dojo close to home, though classes are free as the Sensei (apparently quite a few years of experience under his belt) is government sponsored. The problem is its Shotokan, though I highly admire and respect Funakoshi Sensei, it is not the style of preference. But I figured, practicing some Karate is better than no Karate so I'm going to give it a shot. In the meantime I having a bit of hard time trying to cope with no Karate, or no Dojo.

Just wondering if any of you had (at some point) to cope with a situation similiar to mine.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have. There were times when I couldn't go to a dojo because it was dojo or roof over my head. My suggestion would be to take up that free dojo, despite the fact that it isn't what you would prefer. Free is free and if you want to practice at a place where you can focus that seems like the best place to do it. Otherwise you can do what I did and work through the distractions to practice at home.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I had absolutely the same issue. I had to quit my training in my teens because of money, and I never was able to start back because of "life"- college, marriage, career, then children. Then, while finishing my weight lifting at the gym, I noticed a gentleman training a few students in the aerobics room. They were wearing traditional gis and had colored belts. I watched for a minute, and I noticed they were doing Shotokan Katas that I practiced a million times! Months went by until I finally went talk to the Sensei. It turns out that his schedule and mine were able to mesh, and he invited me to take a trial class. I did, and although it wasn't the strict Shotokan dojo setting I started in, his style and teaching methods fit with me.

I've been training with him for almost 3 years now. I've received my Shodan ranking with him, and I'm about to test for Nidan within the next month or 2. And it turns out that training with him is more compatible with my physical abilities than training MMA or kickboxing (like I was considering).

I stepped out of my confort zone out of chance, and it has been a wise decision. It wasn't my first choice, but I think it wound up being my best option.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I had absolutely the same issue. I had to quit my training in my teens because of money, and I never was able to start back because of "life"- college, marriage, career, then children. Then, while finishing my weight lifting at the gym, I noticed a gentleman training a few students in the aerobics room. They were wearing traditional gis and had colored belts. I watched for a minute, and I noticed they were doing Shotokan Katas that I practiced a million times! Months went by until I finally went talk to the Sensei. It turns out that his schedule and mine were able to mesh, and he invited me to take a trial class. I did, and although it wasn't the strict Shotokan dojo setting I started in, his style and teaching methods fit with me.

I've been training with him for almost 3 years now. I've received my Shodan ranking with him, and I'm about to test for Nidan within the next month or 2. And it turns out that training with him is more compatible with my physical abilities than training MMA or kickboxing (like I was considering).

I stepped out of my confort zone out of chance, and it has been a wise decision. It wasn't my first choice, but I think it wound up being my best option.

I remember having to quit as a teen also, as my parents could no longer afford it. The sensei allowed me to stay and help him around the dojo (cleaning, building, assisting in clases, etc.) but one day he approached me asking me to either pay or stop practicing (I think he was having issues paying the rent) it was the most disheartening and dissapointing feeling ever, but I understood and stopped practicing.

Its been eighteen years since, and I'm finding myself almost in the same situation.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I think it's reasonable to explain that the art means a lot to you and if he can give you a break for a while on the dues or ask f you can come once a week for half the dues. I think many proper instructors expect to, at times give back, or have desire to teach for the sake of teaching.

I also train goju and I also would prefer it. One thing I know is that you can progress with home training in addition to dojo training.

If you have to stop, then train kata at home (if you know it well enough) and pop in periodically and pay a mat fee to get corrections and then go home and wrk the crap out them.

Good luck

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

MA withdraws are tough to get through at times, but when all is right...it's great. But, when things are not going right, it's a long and winding road.

How to get through the day when the day use to consist of total MA immersion. Training by yourself at home is fine, but we MAists, we need to be around other MAists. Otherwise, what you're feeling, only gets worse.

Keep searching for a dojo home; nothing can replace it, imho.

Hang in there!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sorry to hear about your issue. I think it's reasonable to explain that the art means a lot to you and if he can give you a break for a while on the dues or ask f you can come once a week for half the dues. I think many proper instructors expect to, at times give back, or have desire to teach for the sake of teaching.

I also train goju and I also would prefer it. One thing I know is that you can progress with home training in addition to dojo training.

If you have to stop, then train kata at home (if you know it well enough) and pop in periodically and pay a mat fee to get corrections and then go home and wrk the crap out them.

Good luck

Yes, Karate means a lot to me. It keeps me mentally, physically and even spiritually grounded. At home I've been doing hojo undo (supplementary exercises) as well as kata. But its hard at times when all of the sudden you hear your wife calling, or when the baby needs taken care of, etc.

Wife and I got into a bit of an argument because its been extremely fustrating for me not being able to practice for several months now, money goes so fast it does not gives me enough time to do a budget. I'm slowly coming to realize it might be a long while before I will be able to resume practice :(

MA withdraws are tough to get through at times, but when all is right...it's great. But, when things are not going right, it's a long and winding road.

How to get through the day when the day use to consist of total MA immersion. Training by yourself at home is fine, but we MAists, we need to be around other MAists. Otherwise, what you're feeling, only gets worse.

Keep searching for a dojo home; nothing can replace it, imho.

Hang in there!!

:)

It is very though, thank you for the support :up:

Hello,

I've been experiencing some mild depression/fustration as I haven't been able to practice due to family and work responsibilities (economic reasons as well) I've been practicing at home (hojo undo) several times a week for about 30 - 45 minutes. Eventually fustration kicks in and lately I've been lacking motivation.

At home I have too many distractions (son, wife, family, etc.) whereas in the dojo I can fully focus on Karate (Goju). To add to my fustration, money is becoming an issue as well, as paying $65/month for two sessions (all that I am able to attend) is, to say the least, affecting my budget, so there are times that I have to make a desition to either pay bills or Karate :(

I've been searching for other Dojos nearby (bit more affordable), but no luck. I was lucky enough to find a Dojo close to home, though classes are free as the Sensei (apparently quite a few years of experience under his belt) is government sponsored. The problem is its Shotokan, though I highly admire and respect Funakoshi Sensei, it is not the style of preference. But I figured, practicing some Karate is better than no Karate so I'm going to give it a shot. In the meantime I having a bit of hard time trying to cope with no Karate, or no Dojo.

Just wondering if any of you had (at some point) to cope with a situation similiar to mine.

Thanks!

Life is full of descisions. We have to look into what is most important for us first (usually family, if one has one), and then things have to filter in from there. Practicing solo can be a trial at times, but it can be done, but it is never the same as a session at the dojo.

Personally, if you've got an option that isn't going to cost you anything, then you should go for it, even if it isn't what you really want to do. It would be better than nothing, keeping you in shape and your technique up, and you can work to better your financial position while saving that $65 a month. If better opportunities present themselves, then you can change.

Order your family life first, and then let the rest fall into place. Best of luck to you, and I hope everything works out for you. Stat positive! :karate:

Hello,

Thanks!

Life is full of descisions. We have to look into what is most important for us first (usually family, if one has one), and then things have to filter in from there. Practicing solo can be a trial at times, but it can be done, but it is never the same as a session at the dojo.

Personally, if you've got an option that isn't going to cost you anything, then you should go for it, even if it isn't what you really want to do. It would be better than nothing, keeping you in shape and your technique up, and you can work to better your financial position while saving that $65 a month. If better opportunities present themselves, then you can change.

Order your family life first, and then let the rest fall into place. Best of luck to you, and I hope everything works out for you. Stat positive! :karate:

Thank you for the support :)