• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lineage

Lineage is a lot like a family tree; it has a lot to do with circumstances, really. Not all Americans can be related to George Washington, and just because you are, doesn't mean much today. I think the world of Martial Arts is becoming the same way, with as many practitioners as our out there right now, and with so many options to study. If you can have a direct line to Funakoshi, then that's a great thing. If not, then it doesn't mean you don't do great Karate, or have a good thing going for you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lineage is a lot like a family tree; it has a lot to do with circumstances, really. Not all Americans can be related to George Washington, and just because you are, doesn't mean much today. I think the world of Martial Arts is becoming the same way, with as many practitioners as our out there right now, and with so many options to study. If you can have a direct line to Funakoshi, then that's a great thing. If not, then it doesn't mean you don't do great Karate, or have a good thing going for you.

Solid

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

It's for this reason that I don't really focus on lineage. Proof is on the floor. Just because I learn from X instructor who learned from X instructor who learned from X instructor doesn't mean I am good, nor does it mean those who came before were good.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

It's for this reason that I don't really focus on lineage. Proof is on the floor. Just because I learn from X instructor who learned from X instructor who learned from X instructor doesn't mean I am good, nor does it mean those who came before were good.

Spot on!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

hmm..interesting topic!

My lineage would be...

me!

1. Shihan and sensei.

2. Hanshi Steve Arneil.

3. Sosai Masutatsu Oyama.

Never actually looked at the 'blood line' before!

Up until the national tournament last year I'd only ever seen Hanshi from a distance, him on the tournament floor me in the spectators seats.

Then last year I was in the tournament and had opportunity to shake his hand speak with him, opened doors and even get out if his way as he walked past!

I'll add I have worked in other clubs different systems(arts/styles) and found some to claim direct connection with this or that master in some far away land.

Some are (IMO) above board and have legitimate lineage, others its a little murky trying to pick out the thread back to the person named!

Yet in other clubs the instructor refers to his teacher and their teacher and never once is a Eastern name mentioned!

eg:

"I worked with Sensei Ben Jones, who was trained by Sensei John Doe, who trained with a guy called James I think!".

I will add, as I do think, feel it is important to point out I've never noted a pattern in the training to indicate quality is better with one or the other because of the 'lineage'.

I found that after working with two or three I was starting to feel, detect the type of club I had walked into.

A proud, humble, vicious, pedantic, McDojo, ..etc etc club.

.....always a mixture of 'blood lines'.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.