Where do you look/focus when fighting?

Where do youu look?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Where do youu look?

• The face
    • The eyes
    • The chest
    • other...

The chest, actually I look all over and it depends on what my opponent is doing but mostly chest. I was taught that years ago and have stuck with that. Good view on everything. I think looking at the face is something I did before I had experience and allowed me to be pulled in emotionally more so then looking at chest. People communicate through facial expressions more then we realize, don't want to be that intimate while sparring!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chest, actually I look all over and it depends on what my opponent is doing but mostly chest. I was taught that years ago and have stuck with that. Good view on everything. I think looking at the face is something I did before I had experience and allowed me to be pulled in emotionally more so then looking at chest. People communicate through facial expressions more then we realize, don't want to be that intimate while sparring!

Welcome to the chest club. :lol:

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Chest here. You can see the arms and legs from there. I never liked looking at their face as some people are pretty good with faking with their expression. My origional sensei was real good at scaring the heck out of you with his expressions!!! lol

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Another chest man. I don't really focus hard on it though. I kind of relax my eyes/ease my focus.

I used to look into my opponent's eyes until the first time I seriously (for me anyway) sparred against my old sensei. He had this look of death/murder in his eyes that I'll never forget nor give anyone else the chance to "own me" with it. That was the night before his 4th dan test and he was very fired up.

Another chest man. I don't really focus hard on it though. I kind of relax my eyes/ease my focus.

I used to look into my opponent's eyes until the first time I seriously (for me anyway) sparred against my old sensei. He had this look of death/murder in his eyes that I'll never forget nor give anyone else the chance to "own me" with it. That was the night before his 4th dan test and he was very fired up.

It seems like a lot favour this position and I can see why.

It is so practical doing it this way oppose to looking elsewhere.

I do, however suppose it is personal preference.

Just reminded me of a funny situation from a while back...

I taught a karate class for the Phys Ed. department at a college I worked at a while back. I had a very small group one day, so we did non-contact sparring; it was 3 punches (that were blocked), then the other person did their 3.

Anyway, I was working with a young lady who said awkwardly, yet politely, "can you please stop staring at my chest." Luckily, I had 2 female students in the class at the time with MA experience who corroborated my story.

After that round, I taught the students to look at their opponent's chest, not their eyes, and explained why.

I also told my boss, figuring I should tell her first in case we had a sexual harassment complaint on our hands. Thankfully, the student understood I wasn't checking her out.

ah erm...yes... oops!!

Sorry I forgot to add the result of the competition I mention in my (long ago) posts!

The fighting was done as much as possible for me looking up say the shoulders/head, not full face or chest!

I pulled a third place!

So maybe for as much as we say face or chest a person needs to find where to look for them selves and see what works for them!!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Just reminded me of a funny situation from a while back...

I taught a karate class for the Phys Ed. department at a college I worked at a while back. I had a very small group one day, so we did non-contact sparring; it was 3 punches (that were blocked), then the other person did their 3.

Anyway, I was working with a young lady who said awkwardly, yet politely, "can you please stop staring at my chest." Luckily, I had 2 female students in the class at the time with MA experience who corroborated my story.

After that round, I taught the students to look at their opponent's chest, not their eyes, and explained why.

I also told my boss, figuring I should tell her first in case we had a sexual harassment complaint on our hands. Thankfully, the student understood I wasn't checking her out.

You lucky thing. :P

That could have gone majorly wrong for you.

Thanks for sharing that. :lol:

My eyes tend to dart here and there, searching for a target. I do understand why many will look at a certain place on their opponent whilst sparring/kumite. Akin to when basketball players will watch their opponents hips; where the hips go, so does the body AND the ball.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My eyes tend to dart here and there, searching for a target. I do understand why many will look at a certain place on their opponent whilst sparring/kumite. Akin to when basketball players will watch their opponents hips; where the hips go, so does the body AND the ball.

:)

This is a very good point too. Hip and body movement. :)