• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isn't this the oldest form of Karate?

Blood Eagle

If you're interested in learning about Okinawan karate, I'd read the book entitled Okinawan Karate by Mark Bishop. It has a lot of history and solid research put into it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...

Originally Funakoshi's Te was very Shuri (Shorin for the most part) with some Naha Te (Goju) influences in it. Most of the forms and techs were from Shuri Te or Shorin because his 2 main teachers were Asato and Itosu, both ShuriTe stylists who studied under the masters Matsumura Sokon and Gusukuma (respectively). He took a deadly fighting art and made it "Japanese-friendly". He changed the stances and the punching as well as the kicking and took out the tuite (Okinawan grappling). He wanted it to be on par with Kano's Judo. Hence the same rank structure and the inclusion of shiai/randori or kumite/free-fighting (with rules). Before this time kata training and hojo undo (supplementary exercises) as well as 2-man drills were emphasized in Tote. He made it kid-safe! You can't spar for real with karate. It's a life or death art. Period.

So, your pops is wrong. The oldest forms of Kara-Te were Naha-Te (Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu) and Shuri Te/Tomari Te (Shorin ryu). That is the history.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

To further the history lesson, if I recall correctly, karate was born on Okinawa in the 1600's. It was a mix of Southern Chinese White Crane Gung Fu and the local fighting style on Okinawa called Okinawa Te. This was then broken down into 3 more distinct styles called by the names of the towns in which they were taught. Shuri Te, Naha Te and Tomari Te. Then comes Shorin Ryu and Shorei Ryu. Funakoshi travels to Japan and because of Japanese politics the kanji for karate was changed from meaning China Hand to Empty Hand. The Okinawan katas were modified for teaching in the Japanese school system and Shotokan was born. There is an excellent book called "Okinawa Island Of Karate" By George W. Alexander. check it out. This is greatly simplified because I don't remember the exact dates but it's better to find out for yourself. You will appreciate your art more that way.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I will say that there are a lot of practitioners that I know, including myself, that are going back and exploring the Chinese influence on their art. It is very interesting learning the Chinese beliefs and methods. It also will give you a hint of some of the things that may have been lost from your art over time. Or maybe they were never a part of it anyway but stand taking a look at on their own merits. I.E. pressure point techniques, chin na and chi gung to name but a few. Good luck and happy hunting.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.