• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isn't this the oldest form of Karate?

Blood Eagle

I had a conversation with my dad a few minutes ago, and he said that this one of the oldest styles is that true?

Fear is just a feeling that you have to overcome, it cannot hurt you. Only panic is a deadly act!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BE,

No, it is not the case. Shotokan does happen to be one of the three "original" styles known as Japanese Karate, but remember that Funakoshi-sensei came from Okinawa. Shotokan was founded after 1930, and Funakoshi-sensei was teaching in Okinawa during the 1905 period when the kata were changed.

Go if you take a look at my web site (shameless plug), go to the "Asian MA History" section and select the "Okinawa" option you will see what I am talking about. If you read any Funakoshi-sensei's books, you will see more examples of what I am talking about.

When all else fails, just do a web search.

Cheers!!

John

John E. Doub, Jr.

Heiwa-Ryu Martial Arts Academy

http://www.heiwa-ryu.org

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

I study Isshin-Ryu, which is a fairly new style (combination of Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, and Okinawan Kobudo.) I'd be interested in learning some more history of MA... but then again, perhaps I shouldn't overwhelm myself. I'm still not all that proficient yet, despite what people tell me. I can't stop thinking about what I need to do to improve, to better myself, craft myself into the martial artist I want to be.

I'm told green/blue belt is the "figure-it-all-out rank." Well, I'm sick of figuring, but it's part of it, right? :grin:

"There is no nobility in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility is being superior to your former self."

Thom Yorke

"When a man tries to see into the distance, what does he do? He narrows his eyes."

Lady Miyako, Akira #20

Thanks for the interest. (u as well John:))

Shotokan Karate was developed by Funakoshi in the 1920s. Funakoshi was instructed by several senseis, including Masters Azato and Itosu. Funikoshi was also instructed in the art of Judo, which shows the grabs and throws used in Shotokan Karate.

In conclusion, Shotokan is a old Japanese style of karate, but it is quite recent, compared to the okinawan martial arts.

I dont need to say anything else as John has already answered your question.

Oss

Tobias

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• 2 months later...

Well here we go with a brief history lesson...

Shotokan Karate is the stle named afetr Master Gichin Funikoshi.

Shoto was the pen name of Funikoshi and Kan is the japanese term for hall so Shotokan is actually the name shotos hall.

Shoto translates into waving pines as in trees

so the further translation is waving pines hall just add the Do and we get waving pines hall way.

The Shotokan was built by Funikoshi`s students after the original school was devistated during the war and his students named it after himas a mark of their respect.

ShotoKai is the style now derived from Shotokan and was developed by Funikoshi`s son.

Other great students of Funikoshi include Yamaguchi, Nakayama, Kanazawa, Enoida just to name a few.

More later if you wish

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

Shotokan was the first Karate to be introduced to Japan and it's grandmaster was Gichin Funakoshi. Their are three other styles under the WKF umbrella which were also around at the same time, Goju Ryu, Shi-to Ryu (there is no hyphen, I just have to put it for cencorship) and Wado Ryu. Each were equal Martial Arts wise but had some distinct differences. Shi-to Ryu is very fluid and emphisises is on Kata, but Kumite is awesome. Goju is literally hard-soft so there is emphasis placed on tension-relaxation after each move. Shotokan is powerful with very strong basics, Kumite is very traditional and very rarely without coaching does it survive on the mats. That last bit is personal opinion. I myself practice Shi-to Ryu and can't get enough of it.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Shotokan is like a mix of shorei ryu karate and shorin ryu karate so there is no way it would have been one of the oldest style.

I know some of the more recent type of karate are Wado ryu which was created by one of Funakoshi student and its shotokan with some grapling.

Kyokushin was created by Oyama and it is a mix of Shotokan and Goju ryu.

• 1 year later...