• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Imagine a large capital letter H on the ground, and then all the possible ways to step on the 6 points of the H. Start with stepping on the two center points of the H,called Mid-H, moving from side to side. Then from the center, step to the two front points of the H. This is called Front-H Footwork. Then step to the two back points. This is called Back-H Footwork. Lastly, step back and forth on one side of the H. The H Footwork can be done as a stepping or dancing motion.

Application: This footwork will get you used to stepping around another person's legs in a self defense situation. All punching and kicking moves can be done while doing the H Footwork.

You can put a tennis ball cut in half (or really any kind of marker, but the tennis ball is good) down, and mark 6in to 1 foot in four directions away from the tennis ball. While keeping your hips centered over the ball, you move either both feet, or one at a time to random markers around the ball. :brow:

• 1 month later...
Try doing your katas and forms without the kicks and strikes, ie footwork only. This will help ingrain the often "overlooked" importance of good footwork. If you really work this hard, you will feel the difference in a short amount of time.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Another thought if you do not have katas or forms. Try working the various combinations that you routinely use (or think up a couple), again without the strikes and kicks, focusing on your feet.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.