• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Took an Escrima class......

I am a Shodan in Shorin Ryu and Shotokan Karate. The local YMCA advertised Anayan Escrima classes, so I went to one yesterday. It was being taught by a Police officer, and he and one other student were the only ones besides me.

Let me tell you this. I am pretty coordinated (or so I thought) in my own art. But when he handed me the sticks, that all went out the window! I'm used to swinging a sword with both hands or sai or a bo staff. Using a weapon in each hand felt very funky!! Just the basic striks felt very weird. However, it was very interesting and fun. As the instructor said, it's basically "jungle machete fighting"!

We did sticks, knives, and hand to hand techniques. Then we did some agility drills.

Overall, it was very neat to cross train and to realize how much work I need in certain areas. I think I'll go again as long as my schedule can accomidate it.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've played with it, a little, but it's not really my thing. Cross-training is definitely a valuable experience, though. Glad you enjoyed it!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Escrima is something that I always have found fascinating but haven't tried out. It's cool that you branched out into something that you're unfamiliar with! It's always a great experience to do something that you are unfamiliar with and keep on doing it so that you can grow!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Escrima is something that I always have found fascinating but haven't tried out. It's cool that you branched out into something that you're unfamiliar with! It's always a great experience to do something that you are unfamiliar with and keep on doing it so that you can grow!
I agree. I've always been fascinated with stick fighting, and hope that some day I can find an instructor around that can teach me some.

Sounds like you had a fun time, and learned a lot! Keep at it! :karate: