• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vid review: fighting taller and heavier opponents

Here's another kwonkicker video, this one on fighting taller and heavier opponents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inejFZb00uk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU-zLs41xSm1SNU_OMPruGTA

Thoughts on this? He talks about staying outside and out of reach, evading and using speed to advantage to strike. Makes good sense, skill level being equal. I do think things change a bit when we talk about different levels of skill, and also fighting outside the ring.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here are a few more videos on the same idea.

This one is an interesting take; tall vs short, from the tall guy's perspective:

I like the tall guy's idea of not switching the feet, using his full reach to his advantage. In our TKD class, we tend to use a lot of switching feet to gain power, but to kick in close. I like the advice on stance, and kicking so they don't move their arms away to attack. I like the explanation on the tiip, too.

Here's one on short vs tall, from short guy perspective:

He talks about countering punches with kicks. I like the motions with the hands intercepting as he kicks, but I don't know if its the gloves that make that work or what. Its all very fluid, too, which I'm sure comes from practice time in the ring. Some of his angles seem very subtle, too.

For a taller kicking, he gets into catching kicks. I like that, but we can't catch kicks in our TKD sparring. We can get away with hooking them and swinging them out of the way, though.

Thoughts on these? Anything else to offer?

The 2nd post's small vs tall vid:

Nice use of angles. LOVED it. Will show my son those tonight. Really liked the one step angle into torso roundhouses. That looks like a killer sparring move against ANYONE. The opponent will watch your torso/head move...and the roundhouse would be as if invisible coming up behind them.

So easy to drill. I'm excited over here. :)

We can't catch kicks either. 1 second grabs/pulls are allowed...but I've yet to see anyone at all do that ever.

very good stuff overall. Angles and speed are a short fighters bread and butter. More countering.

ANGLES!!

Overall, great stuff from those videos especially for that genre. Our Tuite, needs those angles, and in that, we must expose/manipulate those angles.

Great stuff! Thanks for them all, Brian!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!