• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rotating Curriculum

The SKIF uses the Rotating Curriculum especially in Universities. Something to chew on!

:)

Is there a copy of what this curriculum looks like floating around? Perhaps it would give some ideas for classes.

"Lessons With The Master" by Paul Walker

Try that! There's a SKIF layout at the end of the book.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 4 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread, I just read a book on rotating curriculum and the benefits sound great but I am having one hell of a time putting together a workable curriculum. I am new to running my own program so I'm hoping it's just due to lack of experience on my part.

In my kids class I currently have 4 students, 3 which started at roughly the same time and are all more or less on the same level, but I have one student who just joined less than a month ago and I don't know how to get her in the scheme of things without having to do separate techniques specifically for her, which is what I am doing at the moment. Right now it's annoying but manageable I don't know what it will be like if I get more new students.

I understand the idea of learning the basic forms out of order but I just don't think it makes much sense for her to come in as my other students are learning form 2, have her learn it, then three and then she goes back to 1, if that's the case fine but I keep thinking there's something I'm missing. And I am having a hard time setting up requirements for the ranks due to this rotating idea how can I require her to know one set of techniques and my higher belts another set of techniques if we're all training the same things in class?

I really hope to hear some good stuff on this subject as I've been racking my brain for days trying to get it.

https://www.tkdunlimited.net

"Even though our path is completely different from the warrior arts of the past, it is not necessary to abandon totally the old ways. Absorb venerable traditions into this Art by clothing them with fresh garments, and building on the classic styles to create better forms."

-Morihei Ueshiba

Mr. Punchy,

The key is to get out of your head. Whether they are called, "2, 3, and 4" or " Chuck, Dick, and Mary" is irrelevant. Actually, using their English numbering may be making it more confusing for you. Go back to their Korean names and your mind will accept it better.

I can say, if I ever started a Karate class at my academy again, I would certainly go to using a rotating curriculum for it. I would simply modify the more advanced techniques for the beginners.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Punchy,

Look at "Lessons with the Master" by Paul Walker as well as "Karate: The Art of Empty-Hand Fighting " by Hidetaka Nishiyama. Both have some excellent rotating curriculums that you might find helpful.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Mr. Punchy,

The key is to get out of your head. Whether they are called, "2, 3, and 4" or " Chuck, Dick, and Mary" is irrelevant. Actually, using their English numbering may be making it more confusing for you. Go back to their Korean names and your mind will accept it better.

I can say, if I ever started a Karate class at my academy again, I would certainly go to using a rotating curriculum for it. I would simply modify the more advanced techniques for the beginners.

Punchy,

Look at "Lessons with the Master" by Paul Walker as well as "Karate: The Art of Empty-Hand Fighting " by Hidetaka Nishiyama. Both have some excellent rotating curriculums that you might find helpful.

Thanks guys! You know that's the second time I've seen that Paul Walker book mentioned here I will definitely check it out sensei8.

Ps1, I completely understand what you're saying I guess when I look at the forms, the first 3 in ITF TKD for example. I know I'm a "JKD guy" but I am also trained in TKD and I teach TKD forms in my kids class and to any adult who expresses an interest, I find it really helps with their coordination and focus. I look at these forms and though I understand that forms 1, 2, & 3 aren't that different technically I still see 1 as easier to learn than 2 and so on, I guess I'm afraid of having a brand new student jump into form 3 for example without learning 1 & 2 and them being overwhelmed.

What about after the "Beginner" block, will I need to create a different time slot for the "Intermediate" block so that they don't mix? Is that how that works?

https://www.tkdunlimited.net

"Even though our path is completely different from the warrior arts of the past, it is not necessary to abandon totally the old ways. Absorb venerable traditions into this Art by clothing them with fresh garments, and building on the classic styles to create better forms."

-Morihei Ueshiba

Mr. Punchy,

Punchy,

Thanks guys! You know that's the second time I've seen that Paul Walker book mentioned here I will definitely check it out sensei8.

Ps1, I completely understand what you're saying I guess when I look at the forms, the first 3 in ITF TKD for example. I know I'm a "JKD guy" but I am also trained in TKD and I teach TKD forms in my kids class and to any adult who expresses an interest, I find it really helps with their coordination and focus. I look at these forms and though I understand that forms 1, 2, & 3 aren't that different technically I still see 1 as easier to learn than 2 and so on, I guess I'm afraid of having a brand new student jump into form 3 for example without learning 1 & 2 and them being overwhelmed.

What about after the "Beginner" block, will I need to create a different time slot for the "Intermediate" block so that they don't mix? Is that how that works?

No. The idea is that everyone works the same stuff at the same time. So yes, if there's a jump spinning back kick...you're teaching it to high ranks and white belts all at the same time. If it's a "basic" kata, with only 20 moves, you're teaching it to black belts at the same time as white belts. Ect...

Really, the only thing that changes is the level of understanding and ability to apply the technique.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I guess a distinction in technical skills vs. attributes might make sense here. A rotational curriculum makes perfect sense for teaching attributes (coordination, distance, timing, strength etc..), but technical skills often require a hierarchical knowledge, e.g., teaching throws to people who can't break-fall doesn't make too much sense.

Non-hierarchical techniques could be included into a rotational curriculum, but that might bore advanced students to some extent... (I am going through Heian Katas way too much recently ). :bawling:

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)