• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm Officially Member of The Elite Black Belt Club

Of course it's a marketing tool. Nothing wrong with it. When I first started back in the day, we didn't have a Black Belt Club, nor did anyone else, to my knowledge within the San Fernando Valley in Southern California.

What I did see across the Valley, and other parts of California was when dojo's would offer 3 months, 6 months, and one year long programs for a discounted price. These were popular, and my mom bought into it right from the start because she saved money. And for a single mom, it fit perfect into her budget. I did get a free gi; that was cool for me.

The No-Tuition aspect, imho, is based on paying, up-front, a one time monstrous fee. This one time fee is a discount, yes. It takes what it would cost a student in tuition up to Shodan, based on monthly tuition. Then, apply a reduced discount for the Black Belt Club. For example, if it normally takes 3 years to Shodan, and at $150 per month, that would roughly be $5400, not counting testing fees and the like. So, they dangle the carrot: $3000; a saving of $2400. It's tempting to many budget minded students/parents.

Now, if the Black Belt Club states that the No Tuition is for life, well, you can be assured that there will be other fees for a many other things. The sky's the limit on what these fees will be, but they'll be there somehow and someway.

Here's the kicker; many schools of the MA make it a rule to join the Black Belt Club before one reaches black belt. In that, many schools of the MA state that said student must join the black belt club at least 6 months before they reach Shodan. No exceptions!! Don't join the black belt club, well, you'll never be a Shodan. Albeit, the pressure will feel like the worlds on your shoulder to join said club, and the longer you hold out, the greater will be the pressure.

Remember, a dojo/dojang/school of the MA is a BUSINESS!! The business must be cared for if the doors are to remain opened.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt Club's vary around the world, this is to be for sure!

Usually students 7 years to adult are chosen by said school of the MA. It's custom in it's designed specifically for the "serious student, age 7 to adult, who has the talent, desire and ability to train at a higher level."

For example, students that are part of the Black Belt Club receive Specialized Weapons Training. In that, they're trained in a "comprehensive weapons program" that will include all weapons within said style of the MA. In that, this weapons training will be held one time a week OUTSIDE OF REGULAR CLASSES.

Yes, they'll usually get a Black Belt Club Uniform. Yes, you'll get a special patch that lets all know you're in that club. Some schools' Black Belt Club members can wear their new uniform to regular classes as well as to said testing cycles.

For the most part, you'll also get seminars, special seminars scheduled throughout the year. How many? That varies! Some three a year, some more.

Then, they're are the special pricing packages aimed at the Black Belt Club members. Some schools give percentages off of regular prices for many things that will be necessary to continue in training. Like weapons, sparring gear, to name a few.

Some Black Belt Club members offer a one time up front fee. This can include SAVINGS off annual membership, yearly tuition, discounted tuitions. They'll vary from school to school and governing body to governing body.

As part of the Black Belt Club, students are given a chance to audition for the schools Demonstration Team. This team performs wherever the school decides.

The above, is just an example. Trust me, they're close, but yet, they are far away from the content that's offered from school to school and the like.

I'm not speaking in ill towards those who offer said clubs, nor am I speaking in ill towards those students who partake of them. I just want to shed some small light as to what can or can't be found in said Black Belt Club's across the MA world.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...