• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean Kenjitsu Anyone?

Harkon72

I knew that Korea had a Sword Tradition; but this is the first video I have seen of an art from the peninsula that looks like it comprises of Japanese style Iaido and Kenjitsu. Interesting, has anyone else seen any Korean Sword Play?

:)

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Over the many years, I've seen this before. I've even seen GM Young Ik Suh do similar things like this with his senior black belts; he's TKD.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I actually study this along with the European stuff. Its quite fun. Its basically Toyama-Ryu kenjutsu mixed with certain forms of kung-fu swordsmanship. Ignore all the silly and fake lineage they invented for it though.
Unfortunately, the imbelished lineage was a staple for Korean styles that sprung up, in an attempt to shake off the shackles of the Japanese occupation. There probably was a decent Korea sword tradition at one time, but its probably not much different than any other style of swordsmanship.

When I was still in the ATA, they were putting together their weapons curriculum, and sword was one of the higher-ranked black belt requirements; I'm thinking 5th degree, but am unsure. I have done some bokken work when I was in Aikido, which was a good time, and it wasn't a lot of stylized stuff, either. Weapon on weapon work, which I like.