• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So after my first month of Shotokan, my previous joint injuries from the army are hurting more and more. I love the training I'm receiving and could not ask for a better instructor. I wish to continue my training in Shotokan but with my old injuries resurfacing I feel I couldn't give 100%. My Sensei is aware of my injuries and tells me to work around them and take it somewhat easy. But part of me still pushes beyond that point to perform the technique correctly and not modify it because of my joints. There is a renowned Kobayashi-Ryu dojo that is just as far away as my current dojo. Would Shorin-Ryu be better for me?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't think that it would be much better. Ask yourself this, however. If you are ever confronted with a situation in which you would have to defend yourself, would it be better for you to use techniques that are painful for you and therefore maybe weaker because of it, or would you be better off using techniques that work for your body. Most martial arts aren't made for every body type and instructors know this. That is why we push our students to understand the technique that our respective systems teach while at the same time stressing that if something works for you, it works for you. If it doesn't, then it doesn't and there is nothing wrong with this. If you enjoy your school, then stick with it and modify the techniques to fit your body.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I wouldn't think that it would be much better. Ask yourself this, however. If you are ever confronted with a situation in which you would have to defend yourself, would it be better for you to use techniques that are painful for you and therefore maybe weaker because of it, or would you be better off using techniques that work for your body. Most martial arts aren't made for every body type and instructors know this. That is why we push our students to understand the technique that our respective systems teach while at the same time stressing that if something works for you, it works for you. If it doesn't, then it doesn't and there is nothing wrong with this. If you enjoy your school, then stick with it and modify the techniques to fit your body.

To be COMPLETELY honest. In the past when I have gotten into sticky situations I've used Aikido to avoid attacks. My current studies of martial arts are more of my yearning for knowledge and my goal of learning all the martial arts I can. I'm actually a bit of a pacifist. ^_^;;;

Shorin-Ryu does tend to be less strenuous on the legs and back than Shotokan, by nature, because we do not use such deep, low stances, and how high you kick is generally up to you. That said, if your Shotokan instructor isn't bothered by you adjusting the techniques of Shotokan to fit your body, then you might as well do that--you did say you enjoy it, after all! I know it's difficult, but if shortening those stances and lowering those kicks keep you involved in your training, then more power to you!

Now, all that said, I'm guessing the Kobayashi-Ryu dojo you are talking about is Sensei Stolsmark's dojo? There aren't too many "renowned" Kobayashi schools in Wisconsin, and since I'm part of the same organization (Shorinkan), it wasn't hard to guess :P. I'm sure you would get excellent training with Sensei Stolsmark--he is a very knowledgeable and well-respected instructor, with quite the sense of humor. If you can adjust Shotokan to work around your injuries, and you enjoy it, then stick with that. If you decide that you want to make a switch, I'm sure you'll be happy with Shorin-Ryu, as well. In the end, it's completely up to you!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks, Wastelander for more good info. I just have one more question. Does Sensei Stolsmark focus more on kumite or kata? As I've kind of stated above, I'm not so much into violence. Even my classes in Shotokan where we've done some sparring in I've been very turned off to. I know to progress you need to be efficient in kumite, but is it the primary goal of Shorin-Ryu?

Thanks, Wastelander for more good info. I just have one more question. Does Sensei Stolsmark focus more on kumite or kata? As I've kind of stated above, I'm not so much into violence. Even my classes in Shotokan where we've done some sparring in I've been very turned off to. I know to progress you need to be efficient in kumite, but is it the primary goal of Shorin-Ryu?

Every instructor approaches Shorin-Ryu a bit differently, so I couldn't tell you what the style, as a whole, focuses on. I haven't worked with Sensei Stolsmark personally, as of yet, although he'll be visiting my dojo in March and I'll have a chance at that time. From what I know of him, I would expect kata and partner drills to be favored over kumite. I could be wrong, though. Your best bet would be to visit his dojo and ask him, and explain what your goals are, if that's what you are interested in. For what it's worth, you can mention that one of Sensei Poage's students referred you :P. Again, though, if you already like your instructor and dojo, there is no reason you can't modify your Shotokan and stay there.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Shorin-Ryu does tend to be less strenuous on the legs and back than Shotokan, by nature, because we do not use such deep, low stances, and how high you kick is generally up to you. That said, if your Shotokan instructor isn't bothered by you adjusting the techniques of Shotokan to fit your body, then you might as well do that--you did say you enjoy it, after all! I know it's difficult, but if shortening those stances and lowering those kicks keep you involved in your training, then more power to you!

Now, all that said, I'm guessing the Kobayashi-Ryu dojo you are talking about is Sensei Stolsmark's dojo? There aren't too many "renowned" Kobayashi schools in Wisconsin, and since I'm part of the same organization (Shorinkan), it wasn't hard to guess :P. I'm sure you would get excellent training with Sensei Stolsmark--he is a very knowledgeable and well-respected instructor, with quite the sense of humor. If you can adjust Shotokan to work around your injuries, and you enjoy it, then stick with that. If you decide that you want to make a switch, I'm sure you'll be happy with Shorin-Ryu, as well. In the end, it's completely up to you!

Absolutely... Great post :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

And it's decided. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to try Shorin-Ryu. And after a very enthusiastic green light from my instructor on cross-training, I feel even more motivated!

And it's decided. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to try Shorin-Ryu. And after a very enthusiastic green light from my instructor on cross-training, I feel even more motivated!

Please let us know how it went!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!