• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Olympic syle taekwondo sparring vs karate style point sparri

I don't prefer neither of them because they've given in to the politics of the governing association that's operating said tournament.

Imho.

:)

I still stand by this!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Karateka, who has done standard non/semi contact competition karate events in the past. I have grown to dislike it. At least TKD is hitting the opponent.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

As a Karateka, who has done standard non/semi contact competition karate events in the past. I have grown to dislike it. At least TKD is hitting the opponent.
I agree. They could both use improvement.

I agree. They could both use improvement.

Yes!! One day I'll like 'it' and then on other days, I'll dislike 'it'. A venue is only as good as said practitioners.

• 1 month later...

I cant say I prefer either, but I like both. I did WTF TKD for 9 years and I like it because its continuous and full contact but restrictive and padded enough where going to work with a split lip or something was not usually an issue (I work in an environment that has me interfacing with customers at the lower executive levels of a company, so a black eye or split lip could make us look bad).

That said I go to a school now that offers a karate point sparring class and Muay Thai sparring as different stand up fight classes. I attend the point sparring class and like it for different reasons. Its not continuous but offers more of a head game to score that point. I know neither are particularly realistic for fight simulation purposes, but at my school we use open mat time for that. ;-)

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

IMO they both stink.

To this day, I still can't figure out why TKD required chest protectors. ... those power kicks that used to fold people in half. ....

I think that's why. They needed a popular sport and a safe one if they wanted to get it into the olympics. Hard contact isn't for everyone. I understand there are TKD schools that still spar hard and padless, though they're tough to find.

• 1 month later...

Ha! Donkey's gone wild :lol:

That reminds me of that Cuban competitor who got kicked out (Yes, pun fully intended) for kicking the ref/judge in the face.

I'm a fan of sparring as a learning exercise, not for competition so I can't really say that I prefer either from that point of view. However if I had to choose which one to watch as a spectator I would pick TKD because it is different and some of them have amazing leg speed and balance in all those acrobatic flying kicks. Not nearly enough fists are thrown though

While it is governed by rules and has it's limitations-Olympic TKD sparring allows full contact hitting without paying full price for injuries (head shots excluded). There is value in that as well as in the increased flexibility, balance, timing, control, agility, and speed that players develop through practice.

It has great training value-as does any other type of sparring.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I truth, I'd rather do TKD sparring because of its constant sparring ideology. I have to admit that I don't like karate sparring because of its one and two step-sparring likeness. If I want to do one or two step-sparring, well, I'd do that instead.

Try to look up that Pro TKD, Bob. I think you will like and appreciate what you see. Its essentially Olympic TKD without the chest protectors and pads, like IcemanSK mentioned. Really was good stuff; lots of contact, not so much of the tip-tap look. It was a full-contact venue that allowed the counter-kicking and jump-spinning kicking to be showcased, along with the power they really put forth.

Cool...thanks...I'll look it up!!

:D

You're right, Brian, I do like it, more than I thought I would

Thank you for the heads-up!