Olympic syle taekwondo sparring vs karate style point sparri

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't prefer neither of them because they've given in to the politics of the governing association that's operating said tournament.

Imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Neither, I used to do semi-contact point sparring, or playing tag as it is also known. Tea Kwon Do kick fighting for points is something I haven't experienced; but I don't like the look of it.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I like this short-lived Pro Taekwondo from the 1990's. Olympic style TKD without chest protectors or headgear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmHAGZ8QiA

I did too. I thought the fights were great, and I even saw a win by KO with a punch to the body!

I truth, I'd rather do TKD sparring because of its constant sparring ideology. I have to admit that I don't like karate sparring because of its one and two step-sparring likeness. If I want to do one or two step-sparring, well, I'd do that instead.

I truth, I'd rather do TKD sparring because of its constant sparring ideology. I have to admit that I don't like karate sparring because of its one and two step-sparring likeness. If I want to do one or two step-sparring, well, I'd do that instead.

Try to look up that Pro TKD, Bob. I think you will like and appreciate what you see. Its essentially Olympic TKD without the chest protectors and pads, like IcemanSK mentioned. Really was good stuff; lots of contact, not so much of the tip-tap look. It was a full-contact venue that allowed the counter-kicking and jump-spinning kicking to be showcased, along with the power they really put forth.

Try to look up that Pro TKD, Bob. I think you will like and appreciate what you see. Its essentially Olympic TKD without the chest protectors and pads, like IcemanSK mentioned. Really was good stuff; lots of contact, not so much of the tip-tap look. It was a full-contact venue that allowed the counter-kicking and jump-spinning kicking to be showcased, along with the power they really put forth.

Cool...thanks...I'll look it up!!

:D

• 1 month later...

IMO they both stink.

To this day, I still can't figure out why TKD required chest protectors. Now you have a lot of paddy cake kicks instead of those power kicks that used to fold people in half. It's painful to watch some of todays matches as competitors sometimes look like donkeys gone wild.