• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been on something of a sabbatical

muttley

Having been back to training for a period, I was forced into taking something of a sabbatical through injury (got a bit of plantar fasciitis which laid me out for months), a rather large workload (lots of call outs recently) and a few other things. Trying to combine my training with everything else that was going on (and gaining an interest in rugby) was hard.

Anyway, I am back and wanting to go back to training again (remember all the stuff from when I first decided to return to karate after many years - well this has been about 6 months).

My question is to those who run their own dojo's, would you welcome someone back who has just dropped off the radar for no apparent reason?

My job will (hopefully) be changing soon from prison officer to police officer and I think that some additional training could be useful in my self awareness etc. I think I may need to find a full time dojo that trains every night instead of one that trains only 2 nights a week so that I can train on rest days dependant on shift etc. Unfortunately where I am located these are few and far between.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Having been back to training for a period, I was forced into taking something of a sabbatical through injury (got a bit of plantar fasciitis which laid me out for months), a rather large workload (lots of call outs recently) and a few other things. Trying to combine my training with everything else that was going on (and gaining an interest in rugby) was hard.

Anyway, I am back and wanting to go back to training again (remember all the stuff from when I first decided to return to karate after many years - well this has been about 6 months).

My question is to those who run their own dojo's, would you welcome someone back who has just dropped off the radar for no apparent reason?

My job will (hopefully) be changing soon from prison officer to police officer and I think that some additional training could be useful in my self awareness etc. I think I may need to find a full time dojo that trains every night instead of one that trains only 2 nights a week so that I can train on rest days dependant on shift etc. Unfortunately where I am located these are few and far between.

First of all, glad that you're doing better!!

To the bold type above...

I would take you back!! You have a valid reason as to why you dropped off the radar; physical injury.

As a dojo owner, I don't take students back after they've passed the beginner level. UNLESS, the reason(s) are similar to what you've posted here. If a student of mine, who's no longer a beginner, quits just to quit, I've no tolerance to those type of students. Imho, they've wasted their time and my time as well.

I take the beginner back because they don't know better. They're still learning how to walk from that crawling stage. The MA is hard, darn hard!! So, beginners earn my sympathy, but it's limited. After that, I've no tolerance.

Is that wrong of me? That's for me to decide, and not for the masses to decide because it's my dojo.

You're back! Train hard and train well. But don't put the MA over your physical well being. Heal! Don't rush the healing! In time, when you're physically able, that's when you and the floor greet each other like friends are suppose to...a warm embrace!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for the response, I do feel something of a sham, I should have still carried on my learning where I could but time was one issue I have no control over.

Now to decide which dojo to return to.

I dont own my own club, but I teach at one for the cheif instructor and I am the chair of a provincial group. As such if you wanted to come back and train we have an open door policy. Granted you need to show you are back for the long(ish) haul to test but you can come in and train when ever you like...we dont close doors, we build bridges...

Even monkeys fall from trees

Speaking from experience on the issue of returning to a previous instructor after a hiatus, I began Aikido as a child and quit with my first instructor years later. I gained rank with a study group while I was away from home and keep all I have learned with my on a daily basis. Within the past few months I have learned my first instructor was teaching at a local university but he has yet to respond to any of my inquiries on returning to him.

In my mind, this post has done a lot for my understanding through sensei8's beliefs on a returning student. I did not originally quit Aikido. I only stopped attending classes formally at 4th kyu. The reasons I quit were not for injury or anything really in particular. I was a teenager, and like most teenagers something shiny came along that attracted my attention more.

So to close thank you so much for this post. I don't often speak on these forums, mostly just read everything to gain insight and learn from others conversations. But this thread has shown me much.

I would have no problem welcoming back a student, unless there were adversarial issues that caused the split in the first place. I took a 22 year leave of absence, but it was due to life changes. I began a job that would not allow me to train at my old dojo. Then went to college. Then moved away. Then had kids. Bills. Etc. Finally, I was able to start again, but with another sensei because of convenience and cost. I never lost the desire. Just the opportunity.

If a student quit because he just didn't like MA but decided to come back after a change of heart, I'd consider that pretty honorable. Basically, I think it depends on the circumstances of the split and the reason of the return.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Open door here too.

Life sometimes gets in the way but I am always happy for people to come back to train with us, as is my Sensei.

The only ones that don't get my respect are the ones who return for a few weeks and then enquire about grading, we first have to get them back up to speed so no chance.

Out of respect I would approach your old Sensei/instructor and ask them if you can return to training. Maybe apologise for being absent, but they should be pleased to see you return.

The instructor should welcome you back, but whether he keeps you at your previous rank or not would be up to him.

If you feel ready to go back, do so, and if you need to find a school that better works with your schedule, then that will only help your training out.