• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I Train here?

I'm considering Taekwondo, as I have been invited to train with an a local instructor. The group is headed up by a gentleman by the name of Joe Vigil. He has a very successful program run at several YMCA's. He does not seem to have a digital footprint outside of this, so I don't know if I can trust the group. He is a very nice guy but I want to learn from someone who is "legit". Can you guys help me out? I'm unsure after recently trusting the masses here in the Texas sport karate community.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While I don't know him or his association personally, I would just like to list a couple of points...

1. They seem to, at least, follow the WTF and the UMA (possibly even be a member of one or both of those federations) - due to the logos used and the people that he has trained under.

2. The prices seem reasonable compared to a lot of other TKD (or even other MA associations).

3. While there is no mention on prices of gradings and other things like insurance, etc. The monthly fees are clearly stated.

Personally, I would say give it a go. You've done/doing both Goju Ryu & Shotokan karate so provided you don't sign up for a years contract straight away, you should be able to feel on whether or not this association is for you :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I agree with wagnerk. Seems to be a WTF style club but other than that there isn't much info to go on. His website doesn't give all that much away:

http://vortexicma.com/wp/about/about-vortexic/

You're in a better position than most having trained in something before. Best you can do is attend a few sessions and keep an open mind. Good luck :up:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Go check it out and see how they run things. Give it a few months, and see how you like it. You can always move on if you don't like what they have to offer.

It's nearly impossible to tell if a school is good by a website. Most of the time, if the website looks good it just means they have a good web designer. For us, who have no connection to the school, we can't tell you much from where we sit. Try it out. Then you'll be able to tell us how it is.

All my best to you.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton