• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Space We Live In!!

No, not the actual space that we actually live in, you know, like our house. While that's an important space, it's not the space that I'm addressing. I speak of the space that's constantly changing around my opponent(s) and myself.

The space at any given time can only be occupied by either my opponent or myself; not both. Either one of us are entering or leaving or remaining said space.

Bruce Lee might've said it best: "When my opponent contracts, I expand, and when my opponent expands, I contract!" It's a simple game of give and take.

Managing the space!

*Allow it

*Deny it

*Alter it

*Occupy it

*Stop it

*Enter/Leave it

The power apex can be defined by a simple formula: It takes TWO!! One does this, which then causes the other to do that.

As my opponent, for example, punches at me with his/her left fist towards my face, I move out of that space to my left, and allow his/her attack to occupy said space, if even it's for a split second. By gauging his/her body language and intentions, I therefore, stop my opponent desire to enter said space, thus halting any positive forward motion, and through timing, I then enter said space by transitioning forward so that I, and not my opponent, can occupy said space before my opponent can, therefore I deny my opponent any space opportunities, thus I alter my opponents directions by upsetting my opponents balance, just long enough to unleash my counter-attack.

It's tit for tat, let's not forget that. Not everything is guaranteed. It's a chess game, for sure. The one who occupies the space and manages said space far better, well, to the victory goes the spoils.

Imho, I believe that I manage the immediate space quite well; it's a key element to Tuite!!

Your thoughts!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only way to learn this in my opinion is to feel it. Spar and spar some more, do drill work and keep training until you know your own range. Before you can feel your space you have to know about yourself, your own range and understand your opponent's movements and how far they can reach.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Only way to learn this in my opinion is to feel it. Spar and spar some more, do drill work and keep training until you know your own range. Before you can feel your space you have to know about yourself, your own range and understand your opponent's movements and how far they can reach.
I agree. Learning to close and make space when needed to work to the goal takes time and practice. Good drilling is hard to replace. That is something that forms training can't really give us. We can try guage the space required for a certain technique by looking at how we do it in the form; i.e., we can see that an angle punch in Yoo Sin is tighter to the body than a front stance lunge punch, leading us to believe that the angle punch technique is one performed when closing with an opponent. But, without having someone there to work on this with, doing it alone won't teach us much.

So, the big factor in learning how to close and open space when necessary is through realistic training drills involving at least one partner, if not more. Sparring can be a great tool for training it, but its important to keep the context of the type of sparring each of us does in mind, and how it would relate in regards to actual self-defense.

Yes...solid post!!

To manage the space, one must experience it! The space that I'm more concerned with is within the very close ranges; in our faces, so to speak. Our brand of Tuite is about the close ranges and how to manipulate that space to ones advantage. As he/she moves, I must counter-move within that space!!

I agree. Learning to close and make space when needed to work to the goal takes time and practice. Good drilling is hard to replace. That is something that forms training can't really give us. We can try guage the space required for a certain technique by looking at how we do it in the form; i.e., we can see that an angle punch in Yoo Sin is tighter to the body than a front stance lunge punch, leading us to believe that the angle punch technique is one performed when closing with an opponent. But, without having someone there to work on this with, doing it alone won't teach us much.

So, the big factor in learning how to close and open space when necessary is through realistic training drills involving at least one partner, if not more. Sparring can be a great tool for training it, but its important to keep the context of the type of sparring each of us does in mind, and how it would relate in regards to actual self-defense.

Solid post!!

As someone who lives in other peoples spaces, whether it's through sparring and/or some other drill types, managing that space does take some time, and with more than one partner. Why? We're different, you and I, so, I must understand people in a general tense so that I can understand how space works for and against me. If I do this, what might happen or not happen. Do I use much more hip transition or do I use the same or slightly less. EXPERIENCE space first.

Someone invades my space by grapping me. Or is attempting to grasp ahold of me. A shift, a slide, a directional, an advancement; these confound and unbalance my opponent but at the same time, I create and close said space as easy as I would whenever moving a pawn on a chess board.