• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbie - Think I Found a Great Dojo - Mix of styles?

Canadian77

sh
I'm sure you are aware that I'm a traditional old toad and seeing 10 year old yellow belts with nunchaku makes me cringe. But each to their own.

Nunchaku are an advanced weapon for my school that is learned right before Shodan. The children class never touches anything other than a bo. So I also cringe at that.

I'm in agreement with you guy's. Kids of any grade should only be allowed to use the Bo and Bokken : that's my opinion and we did it at the Dojo I come from.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
sh
I'm sure you are aware that I'm a traditional old toad and seeing 10 year old yellow belts with nunchaku makes me cringe. But each to their own.

Nunchaku are an advanced weapon for my school that is learned right before Shodan. The children class never touches anything other than a bo. So I also cringe at that.

I'm in agreement with you guy's. Kids of any grade should only be allowed to use the Bo and Bokken : that's my opinion and we did it at the Dojo I come from.

Fair enough to all of the above. Haven't heard our dojo's official policy on that but it sounds like it is probably similar. I have only seen the upper level kids with a bo, and then sais and tonfas with people who are older - later teens at least.

Oh and also, I believe I was a bit unclear at the start about styles. I meant I wasn't sure which karate style, rather than so much a mix of martial arts. I do think it is just karate, although I didn't know for sure if weapons were used by most karate dojos.

Welcome to KF! :karate:

From your description, it sounds like a good dojo. A key factor in your description is:

The Director always teaches most of the class, and other often do the warm up and will assist throughout the class.

The fact that the chief instructor/director teaches most of the classes says something substantial about him/her. In most of the poor dojos I've experienced, the chief instructor (CI) hardly ever teaches (lower ranked "underling" blackbelts/instructors do most of the teaching); mostly just sits in an office and/or behind a desk to observe and collect fees (if present at all). In these kinds of dojos, the CI usually only teaches "special" classes for "high ranking" or "inner circle" students.* From what you've described, your CI is very approachable, teaches often, and involves as many students as possible in activities...marks of a good dojo. :)

Also, in most dojos, it is fairly common for higher ranked students other than the CI to run warmups or the like; they're studying to become instructors, themselves, and need the practice.

As for your style, the terminology you're using (i.e. "Heian Shodan") leads me to believe that you are Karate (not Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, etc) from a Japanese style (as opposed to Okinawan), probably Shotokan. The fact that you do a lot of "mixed" or an array of moves doesn't necessarily mean your dojo is a "mixed" art. Most of the "singular" MAs, like Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, have many different types of techniques with different uses (applications).

To compare, I study Okinawan Karate known as Shorin-Ryu (Matsubayashi-Ryu). To us, the "Heian" kata are known as "Pinan"; same kata, but differences in language (Okinawa is part of Japan, today, but is culturally/linguistically different).

* These types of dojos/CIs misuse (corrupt) cultural concepts from Japan to prop themselves up. In Japan, there are remote and inner students depending on familiarity and trust. The more they know and trust a student, the more they will teach. There are others here on KF that can explain this cultural aspect better than I.

:karate:

I second this. If the chief instructor is actually doing the teaching, it's a great sign especially if it's to the lower ranks.

I concur with both KF members!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Oh and also, I believe I was a bit unclear at the start about styles. I meant I wasn't sure which karate style, rather than so much a mix of martial arts. I do think it is just karate, although I didn't know for sure if weapons were used by most karate dojos.

Most karate dojo's DO use weapons. They're known as Kobudo!!

Btw, welcome to KF!!

Imho, that's immature of that said instructor! Not cool, and not responsible for said instructor.

AGREED!!!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd update and confirm that yes, the style at my dojo is indeed shotokan. We had a mini history lesson at the end of our last class, which was really interesting. I hadn't had the nerve to ask, but I was suspecting shotokan based on what you had said and what I've read. But it was nice to have it confirmed.

Welcome to the wonderful journey that is Martial Arts!

I started at a JKA Shotokan school in the 90's, but took a break (22 years!). A few years ago, I found a man teaching at the gym I lift weights at, and his style looked similar. He was teaching in the raquetball court. So I met with him, and he holds dan rankings in Shotokan, Shorin-ryu, Goju Ryu, and has training in Chito Ryu and tai chi as well. But his style is "advertised" as Shorin Ryu and Shotokan. I have been training ever since, and I love it. I now hold a Shodan ranking in Shorin Ryu and Shotokan under his guidelines.

I was skeptical when he mentioned that he broke away from the official "associations". He just was tired of the political red tape and costs associated with it. I did some research after that, and I found that his Master was Teriyuki Ozaka who was trained directly by the founder of Shotokan! So after I obtained my black belt under Master Greg, I found out that the style has a direct lineage to Gichin Funakoshi.

But the important thing is that this system fits me. We also use Muay Thai techniques as well as Ju Jitsu, Kung Fu, and Western Boxing. But our core (and 95% of our energy spent) is concentrated around Shorin Ryu and Shotokan.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.