• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbie - Think I Found a Great Dojo - Mix of styles?

Canadian77

I am a woman in my late thirties, and have always wanted to take karate, but it just hasn't worked out until now. I was a highland dancer for years, so I used to be fairly fit, but since having my kids I haven't done anything formal, so I've lost a lot of my fitness. I began karate because we wanted to put our son into something, and he had a keen interest in karate, so we gave it a try. He is 4 and absolutely loves it. I found the atmosphere so positive and encouraging, and they do have adult novice classes, so I decided to give it a try. They are close by and timing worked well for me. It seems to be a fantastic dojo, but I'm a newbie so I don't have a lot to go on.

I understand that there are different styles out there, but I really don't know which style we would be considered. I think it's actually a mix. I love the wide variety of what we do in the lessons. So far I've done lots of great warm ups that get my heart pumping (which are never exactly the same but tend to include push ups, sit ups and stretches fairly often), lots of focusing on technique in various punches, kicks and blocks, lots of kata work (I feel a bit silly saying this but am proud that I have mastered the basics of Heian Shodan and am working on improving my technique in it now), plenty of various types of pad drills using different types of pads, lots of self-defense routines and pieces, and more that I'm sure I'm not thinking of. I am only a white belt, but the higher belts also do sparring fairly often (we have tried some basic movements for that but not formal sparring just yet), and get to work with some of the different weapons. I've seen tonfa, sais, bo staff and nun-chucks done so far (spelling may be all wrong there). I have learned something new at every single lesson, and attend 2-4 times a week (usually 3) since the end of November. The Director always teaches most of the class, and other often do the warm up and will assist throughout the class. Does this sound like a well-run dojo from that little bit of info? Do you have any idea on the style? Probably not enough info.

I've lurked a bit on this forum and found some interesting conversations here, and I look forward to chatting with you. Some of the topics are over my head right now, so I look forward to becoming more familiar with this world.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and welcome to the forum, and congratulations for not letting age be an excuse to starting. From the brief club/training outline you've given , it seems a good club.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Welcome to KF! :karate:

From your description, it sounds like a good dojo. A key factor in your description is:

The Director always teaches most of the class, and other often do the warm up and will assist throughout the class.

The fact that the chief instructor/director teaches most of the classes says something substantial about him/her. In most of the poor dojos I've experienced, the chief instructor (CI) hardly ever teaches (lower ranked "underling" blackbelts/instructors do most of the teaching); mostly just sits in an office and/or behind a desk to observe and collect fees (if present at all). In these kinds of dojos, the CI usually only teaches "special" classes for "high ranking" or "inner circle" students.* From what you've described, your CI is very approachable, teaches often, and involves as many students as possible in activities...marks of a good dojo. :)

Also, in most dojos, it is fairly common for higher ranked students other than the CI to run warmups or the like; they're studying to become instructors, themselves, and need the practice.

As for your style, the terminology you're using (i.e. "Heian Shodan") leads me to believe that you are Karate (not Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, etc) from a Japanese style (as opposed to Okinawan), probably Shotokan. The fact that you do a lot of "mixed" or an array of moves doesn't necessarily mean your dojo is a "mixed" art. Most of the "singular" MAs, like Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, have many different types of techniques with different uses (applications).

To compare, I study Okinawan Karate known as Shorin-Ryu (Matsubayashi-Ryu). To us, the "Heian" kata are known as "Pinan"; same kata, but differences in language (Okinawa is part of Japan, today, but is culturally/linguistically different).

* These types of dojos/CIs misuse (corrupt) cultural concepts from Japan to prop themselves up. In Japan, there are remote and inner students depending on familiarity and trust. The more they know and trust a student, the more they will teach. There are others here on KF that can explain this cultural aspect better than I.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Welcome to KF! :karate:

From your description, it sounds like a good dojo. A key factor in your description is:

The Director always teaches most of the class, and other often do the warm up and will assist throughout the class.

The fact that the chief instructor/director teaches most of the classes says something substantial about him/her. In most of the poor dojos I've experienced, the chief instructor (CI) hardly ever teaches (lower ranked "underling" blackbelts/instructors do most of the teaching); mostly just sits in an office and/or behind a desk to observe and collect fees (if present at all). In these kinds of dojos, the CI usually only teaches "special" classes for "high ranking" or "inner circle" students.* From what you've described, your CI is very approachable, teaches often, and involves as many students as possible in activities...marks of a good dojo. :)

Also, in most dojos, it is fairly common for higher ranked students other than the CI to run warmups or the like; they're studying to become instructors, themselves, and need the practice.

As for your style, the terminology you're using (i.e. "Heian Shodan") leads me to believe that you are Karate (not Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, etc) from a Japanese style (as opposed to Okinawan), probably Shotokan. The fact that you do a lot of "mixed" or an array of moves doesn't necessarily mean your dojo is a "mixed" art. Most of the "singular" MAs, like Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, have many different types of techniques with different uses (applications).

To compare, I study Okinawan Karate known as Shorin-Ryu (Matsubayashi-Ryu). To us, the "Heian" kata are known as "Pinan"; same kata, but differences in language (Okinawa is part of Japan, today, but is culturally/linguistically different).

* These types of dojos/CIs misuse (corrupt) cultural concepts from Japan to prop themselves up. In Japan, there are remote and inner students depending on familiarity and trust. The more they know and trust a student, the more they will teach. There are others here on KF that can explain this cultural aspect better than I.

:karate:

I second this. If the chief instructor is actually doing the teaching, it's a great sign especially if it's to the lower ranks.

I would traditionally be wary of mixed styles, their linage can be a little dodgy to say the least. But if you enjoy it and can afford it; then you can't really go wrong. Another of my pet concerns is the introduction of weapons too soon. In our class; only advanced grades get to see the Kobudo weapons; they are not to be played with.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I would traditionally be wary of mixed styles, their linage can be a little dodgy to say the least. But if you enjoy it and can afford it; then you can't really go wrong. Another of my pet concerns is the introduction of weapons too soon. In our class; only advanced grades get to see the Kobudo weapons; they are not to be played with.
I'm not as worried about lineage. If the martial art is effective then I'm okay with it, but that's just me. I am also okay with weapons at a lower rank. We started learning weapons at 9th Kyu and there was never a problem. As long as your instructor puts emphasis on the safety aspect of weapons I think that there is no problem. Again, that is just me.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I'm sure you are aware that I'm a traditional old toad and seeing 10 year old yellow belts with nunchaku makes me cringe. But each to their own.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Definitely a Japanese style.

Having the junior instructors run the warm ups is smart. I do the same. I teach all of the classes but to give myself a break I have my instructors run the warm ups and sometimes even the Kihon so I can make corrections and watch their teqhnique. I teach two classes a night 3 nights a week and I am old so letting your instructors run small portions of the class gives old guys like me a break and allows us to assess progress and make corrections.

Sounds to me like a good school. The only way to truly know is to study for a while and make up your own mind if it has been benificial, you are learning and progressing, and most importantly love doing it. There are plenty of resources on line to research and you can also go check out the other schools in the area. Most offer a few free lessons and you can assess how they teach compared to your Sensei. But based on your limited explaination I would say it sounds like a good school.

Welcome and good luck.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

Thank you for all the replies, they are interesting to read and make good points. To clarify, the weapons are not introduced early. I have seen them, but not used them yet. I'm not sure exactly what belt they start at, but I know they are introduced slowly. And the nun-chuks I have only ever seen once, in a demonstration by a 3rd degree black belt at our Christmas celebration. The bo seems to be the first one, and it is definitely higher up in the belts. But I am excited at the prospect of getting to try them out one day, although I am quite happy to wait until I am ready, and waiting years if fine by me.

Overall I am really enjoying it, and I hope it will be a long term part of my life.

sh

I'm sure you are aware that I'm a traditional old toad and seeing 10 year old yellow belts with nunchaku makes me cringe. But each to their own.

Nunchaku are an advanced weapon for my school that is learned right before Shodan. The children class never touches anything other than a bo. So I also cringe at that.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/