• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido; A Demonstration In Its Way!!

As far as the comment about the assumed pain the Uke was experiencing, I agree with that point. Mild discomfort, that's ok, but pain, never. Even with the discomfort, that MUST be gauged to insure that it's nothing more than mild discomfort.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't like here is how poorly and how much pain he puts on the uke. It's not necessary, especially for a demonstration for his peers. This is a bad habit that many instructors have. It's a good way to lose a student and training partner.

Agreed, it was unnecessary and frankly, showed poor understanding / etiquette.

The rest of the embu was OK I've seen worse.

I'm just not a fan of the 6 man take downs toward the end, I think it cheapens the whole thing!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

To xnovak1023 : just for info, it was not an Aikidoka, but a Karateka who caused my injury. While being taught Tui-te. Karate's version of Chinese Chin-na, which has many similarities to Aikido.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

To xnovak1023 : just for info, it was not an Aikidoka, but a Karateka who caused my injury. While being taught Tui-te. Karate's version of Chinese Chin-na, which has many similarities to Aikido.

Ah, I guess the saying for assumptions holds true.

;P

I still stand by my principles on the matter of resistance in training. Regardless if it is Aikido or not.

Ah, I guess the saying for assumptions holds true.

;P

I still stand by my principles on the matter of resistance in training. Regardless if it is Aikido or not.

CONTROL!! Not all display it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of like asking an Aikido practitioner to pull his punches. Sometimes he can. And sometimes he can't.

If I had witnessed this demonstration; I would have walked out with my students! This Sensei was disrespectful and totally out of order! You never submit your Uke to that much pain, ever! It's blind arrogance and in my opinion, and you can shoot me for this Patrick, as I have seen this kind of thing first hand; it's an example of dominance that verges on racism. My Sensei is my equal! I will never be submissive to him, for he is a man of Honor. This is not a demonstration; it's abuse.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Regarding the comments, there's alot of armchair martial artists out there these days. Even people in my own art of BJJ don't seem to understand the point of a demonstration and the need of a compliant uke for such a purpose.

In jiu-jitsu we have many of the same techniques. The problem is that most people don't know how they should be trained. I did a private lesson with a higher level BJJ student a few months ago. I covered some things very similar to this. Then I taught him how to put it together and make it "actually work against a resisting opponent." He actually looked at me and said, "Mind blown!"

I agree with you here. There are times when a compliant uke is important, and times when not so much. In training, its important for the level of compliance to reflect what the goal of the training session is. He showed some good tai sabaki that really helped his techniques, also showing his level of skill and years of experience. My main complaint with Aikido demos is the use of the aggressive, exagerated grabbing motions as attacks. But, they do support the purpose of the demo, so I can look past those from time to time.

It was fun to watch. Thanks for sharing it, Bob!

If I had witnessed this demonstration; I would have walked out with my students! This Sensei was disrespectful and totally out of order! You never submit your Uke to that much pain, ever! It's blind arrogance and in my opinion, and you can shoot me for this Patrick, as I have seen this kind of thing first hand; it's an example of dominance that verges on racism. My Sensei is my equal! I will never be submissive to him, for he is a man of Honor. This is not a demonstration; it's abuse.

I agree!!

• 3 weeks later...

In japanese jujitsu, like previously said, we had many of these techniques and certainly the same principles.

To me, proper Aikido is as good at the techniques of harmony (the essence of the Ju of Jujitsu) as BJJ is on the ground.

The problem with many of the moves in aikido regarding the uki is that most of these moves are endgame moves, simply put... finishes. the uki goes to prevent the pressure of building up in the joint.

In japanese Jujitsu we often used strikes to force the breaking of balance, like an eagle claw to the throat for instance to bring someone back. We capitalized on the momentum we created with a strike, they take it a step further and use what ever you give them.

It looks fluid because it is fluid. Ive been the uki where i felt like i was literally being sucked in.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK