Aikido; A Demonstration In Its Way!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across this video a few weeks ago. I love the very simplistic movements that vary from the more narrow, linear, and less aggressive movements I am used to. Very interesting to watch again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it again.

If one reads the comments that accompanied said video, you can see that many didn't like the Uke's willingness to go with everything.

I, too, have no use for a Uke just going with me, unless, I'm teaching something brand new to them. After some time of practicing, I want the Uke to resist, to fight back, at every cost, without any reservation.

It either works or it doesn't. I believe, and it's my own opinion, the instructor in this video could control his attacker effectively, and that's because his transitional movements are compact, and in sync with his entire body.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If one reads the comments that accompanied said video, you can see that many didn't like the Uke's willingness to go with everything.

I, too, have no use for a Uke just going with me, unless, I'm teaching something brand new to them. After some time of practicing, I want the Uke to resist, to fight back, at every cost, without any reservation.

It either works or it doesn't. I believe, and it's my own opinion, the instructor in this video could control his attacker effectively, and that's because his transitional movements are compact, and in sync with his entire body.

Indeed. For the circumstances of the demonstration, the willingness of the uke was necessary. If it were a more public demo, more restraint should have been used. I do not know for a fact if the demo was public or more of a seminar, though. Just my point of view on matters.

Mori Shihan demonstrates an invaluable technique to deflect and react to multiple strikes being delivered in a rapid manner. Seemingly, more skeptics are prone to believe Aikido being ineffective due to a lack of strikes during a single technique. This disproves such theories, in my beliefs. Granted it is all choreographed, but as is all martial arts training. Thus the meaning of training be used to perfect one's technique to be available if the moment becomes necessary.

Indeed. For the circumstances of the demonstration, the willingness of the uke was necessary. If it were a more public demo, more restraint should have been used. I do not know for a fact if the demo was public or more of a seminar, though. Just my point of view on matters.

Mori Shihan demonstrates an invaluable technique to deflect and react to multiple strikes being delivered in a rapid manner. Seemingly, more skeptics are prone to believe Aikido being ineffective due to a lack of strikes during a single technique. This disproves such theories, in my beliefs. Granted it is all choreographed, but as is all martial arts training. Thus the meaning of training be used to perfect one's technique to be available if the moment becomes necessary.

Solid post!!

I want the Uke to resist, to fight back, at every cost, without any reservation.

One reservation - injury ! I'm currently limited in my training after having the wrist tendons of my left hand sprained doing just that. All in all a good quality demo, far better than many I've seen.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I want the Uke to resist, to fight back, at every cost, without any reservation.

One reservation - injury ! I'm currently limited in my training after having the wrist tendons of my left hand sprained doing just that. All in all a good quality demo, far better than many I've seen.

That's a good reason for not going full speed, etc! Allow the injury to fully heal first. Also, if the injury is a permanent one, then some type of exception must be provided while still getting the effectiveness understood.

Good post, andym!!

You were injured during training? As uke, I'm assuming?

Not to judge, nor hopefully offend, but even if the uke is resisting to give a more realistic training exercise, the aikidoka should be able to control and feel his partner enough not to cause injury and complete each technique with little trouble.

That is why, in my opinion, uke should not resist until later on in study, when the one performing the technique knows the material as second nature and can read an attacker as to not cause injury. Thus, the meaning and intention of Aikido becomes clear as to not harm oneself nor whomever takes it upon themselves to attack you; The way of harmonizing energy.

Aikido; A Demonstration In Its Way!! I worded that totally wrong, I'm sorry!! I'm speaking about it's Do; way. Not that the demonstration was in its own way, like it was a fumble or something like that.

Sometimes, my own big fat mouth gets in the way of what I mean to say!!

A solid video, imho!!

Regarding the comments, there's alot of armchair martial artists out there these days. Even people in my own art of BJJ don't seem to understand the point of a demonstration and the need of a compliant uke for such a purpose.

In jiu-jitsu we have many of the same techniques. The problem is that most people don't know how they should be trained. I did a private lesson with a higher level BJJ student a few months ago. I covered some things very similar to this. Then I taught him how to put it together and make it "actually work against a resisting opponent." He actually looked at me and said, "Mind blown!"

What I don't like here is how poorly and how much pain he puts on the uke. It's not necessary, especially for a demonstration for his peers. This is a bad habit that many instructors have. It's a good way to lose a student and training partner.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."