• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Suggestions for home drilling?

xnovak1023

So I've created this account to post on this forum. I have a few words of advise, maybe they will matter to you, or maybe not. Well, I'm sure you have plenty to focus on now, by reading the above posts. But I would recommend you keep these few things in mind. Practice only the drills that you are confident in doing. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Don't try to get ahead of yourself, because beginners who take on karate slowly, and fully, are more inclined to improve their karate over time. But if you want something to keep in the back of your mind, think about this. There are no blocks in karate. Your views on that sentence will change over time, trust me.

Good luck!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So I've created this account to post on this forum. I have a few words of advise, maybe they will matter to you, or maybe not. Well, I'm sure you have plenty to focus on now, by reading the above posts. But I would recommend you keep these few things in mind. Practice only the drills that you are confident in doing. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Don't try to get ahead of yourself, because beginners who take on karate slowly, and fully, are more inclined to improve their karate over time. But if you want something to keep in the back of your mind, think about this. There are no blocks in karate. Your views on that sentence will change over time, trust me.

Good luck!

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Today's kihon for my drills was Age-Uke. I feel I've progressed slightly, with my incorporation for hip movement, hike-te, and the turn over of my wrist. Although, I keep getting caught up in where my blocking arm should be to begin the technique, I am having so much fun learning.

Tomorrow's kihon will be shuto-uke. Any advice I can keep in mind?

Posture!! Very important!!

Arm shouldn't be fully extended. The arm, at the elbow, should be ever so slightly bent.

Keep elbows close and tight to the body.

Keep shoulders down throughout the technique.

Keep fingers together.

Snap your technique, but only at the very last second.

Kiai. Concentrating on your abs.

Focus.

Don't over analysis the darn thing.

Use your hips, but not too early, and not too late.

Watch your stance. Is it too wide or too long or too narrow.

Remember everything that your instructor taught you concerning the "Do's" and "Don'ts". His/her teaching is paramount.

Have your arms cross one another towards the very middle, but not to wide and/or way, way outside your opposite side.

Break each part down, and in that, be specific without being ridicules; over analyzing.

Depending on the style, things start and end at the same time, and with others, it's more of a domino effect.

Good luck, have fun, and train hard.

Wow- thank you

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Today's kihon for my drills was Age-Uke. I feel I've progressed slightly, with my incorporation for hip movement, hike-te, and the turn over of my wrist. Although, I keep getting caught up in where my blocking arm should be to begin the technique, I am having so much fun learning.

Arm shouldn't be fully extended. The arm, at the elbow, should be ever so slightly bent.

Keep fingers together.

Focus.

Remember everything that your instructor taught you concerning the "Do's" and "Don'ts". His/her teaching is paramount.

Have your arms cross one another towards the very middle, but not to wide and/or way, way outside your opposite side.

Break each part down, and in that, be specific without being ridicules; over analyzing.

Depending on the style, things start and end at the same time, and with others, it's more of a domino effect.

Wow- thank you

You're more than welcome!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that working off of Kata is the best thing available. Either the full Kata itself or a series of 4-5 techniques found in Kata at a time. And don't worry about limited spacing. Go ahead and work the Kata in the small space, which will simulate the footwork and balance of a fight in a small place.

Why Kata? Because it's probably the one area where a student can self-correct better than other methods of training. And where a student can actually repeat for 30 minutes at a time without stopping due to boredom. Kata can be performed without warm-up or warm-downs.

IMO, if a student only does a 30 minute session of Kata per day, he can probably progress in Karate twice as fast as the average student.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've actually solidified my training routine into;

1 hour of Kihon in the morning. And continuing all day whenever I'm walking around or find myself waiting while cooking or cleaning.

And also 1 hour of Kata at night.

Keep fingers together.

Focus.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head - brilliant post.

Perfect! Its kind'a all been said at this point!

So I'll one word..

Fortitude!

Enjoy your journey it will be rewarding!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.