• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Explaining applications

It's fair to say that not everyone knows every possible application for every move and I also think it's fair to say that some instructors are happy with just the basic one that they were shown years ago.

I have known students who have reached brown belt level and never had any applications explained to them, also to go through Kata and never go beyond the basic strike/block applications. Personally I find it fascinating to explore the applications, there are many "aha!" moments like when you discover that an X "block" could be a grab and strike, or it could be used to escape a wrist grab, or even a strangle hold, etc

Here's the point I was aiming at...

I have at least 2 students that have great difficulty in doing anything unless you explain what it's for, they are not natural fighters and struggle with even a combination unless you spell it out and show them.

One is learning the green belt Kihon line work, for example - outer to inner block, elbow stirke, backfist strike and opposite punch needs to be explained as blocking a punch, elbow to chin, knuckles to head, punch to stomach...

They have both come on very well and I hope they will eventually find new stuff easier but this is the first time I have come across this level, everyone learns differently, some just see and do, others need it describing in detail.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The joys of different learning styles:

1. Visual (spatial):You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.

2. Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music.

3. Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing.

4. Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.

5. Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems.

6. Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.

7. Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

While everyone learns differently, hopefully they'll all end up in roughly the same place/meet the required standard :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Learning curves of said students can be challenging, to say the least. Albeit, an instructor have to teach the individual and not the group.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have known students who have reached brown belt level and never had any applications explained to them, also to go through Kata and never go beyond the basic strike/block applications. Personally I find it fascinating to explore the applications, there are many "aha!" moments like when you discover that an X "block" could be a grab and strike, or it could be used to escape a wrist grab, or even a strangle hold, etc

I think this tends to be more applicable to Karate than other styles. In Taekwon-Do (or at least in the style I study) we really don't have a concept of bunkai or applications beyond what you refer to as basic strikes / blocks. You learn the movement in the tul and learn the application. A punch is just a punch.

What we focus on instead is to learn the principles behind every movement and then try to apply them to whatever we do. We don't take an x-block and translating that action to a strangle, we just go for whatever strangle and then apply the general concepts of leverage etc. learnt through other movements.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 weeks later...

I think this tends to be more applicable to Karate than other styles. In Taekwon-Do (or at least in the style I study) we really don't have a concept of bunkai or applications beyond what you refer to as basic strikes / blocks. You learn the movement in the tul and learn the application. A punch is just a punch.

What we focus on instead is to learn the principles behind every movement and then try to apply them to whatever we do. We don't take an x-block and translating that action to a strangle, we just go for whatever strangle and then apply the general concepts of leverage etc. learnt through other movements.

I'm basically in the same boat as DWx, although I have been researching outside resources for new ways to look at things in the forms.

As mentioned earlier, different people learn in different ways. I've also noticed that many of the "Do" philosophies that many traditional styles put forward as a marketing strategy that "the Martial Arts are for everyone" tends to attract people who aren't always natural athletes, and therefore will need to have things elaborated to them more often than natural athletes will.