• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frame It!!

You train hard for quite along time, then you pass your rank test, and then, when it's all said and done, you take your certificate, and then you frame it.

In what manner did you frame your rank certificate?

My mom framed all of mine for me when I was a kid. For my Kyu ranks, she'd get a basic frame, one that can be found at any 5-and-dime store. And because our Dan certificates are larger, 11"X17", she'd have to find some frames that would accommodate them.

However, when I started doing my own framing, I went pretty caveman-like by laminating my rank certificates, and then attaching them to a large and attractive, if there's such a thing, cutting board before I hung them on a wall.

Like I said, quite caveman-like. Sorry!!

How about you!?!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All of my certificates are in the closet. Never framed one. Not sure where I would hang one if I did. Then again, I don't have anything hanging on my walls at home, so maybe I'm just not a "put stuff on the wall" type of gal.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I framed my dan certificates and hang them on the wall in my dojo. If I didn't have a dedicated dojo, I'm not sure what I'd do with them - perhaps up at home?

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I only hang them up at the dojo beside my many business license's, as well in my office at the Hombu. I've not hung up any at my home in quite a long time.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Under belt black, I have them in plastic wallets in a folder on a shelf. Black belt ones are scanned in for digital copies, then the original ones are framed (the certs came in a frame already, bar one which I just got a nice clear "frameless" frame for). However they are in the cupboard, I post my certs on my social site. It's easier that way :)

Edited by wagnerk

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

My kyu rank certificates were destroyed in a flood that took most of my possessions almost a decade ago now. My shodan certificate survived because it was still on order from Japan when it all happened. I had only tested for shodan a short time before I became a homeless martial arts nomad at the tender age of 19.

Now I keep both my shodan and nidan certificate in the same frame, pressed between acid free pages that are secretively tucked behind my late uncle's ink drawing of a boat that used to be owned by my great grandfather. I really like that drawing ...even though I never rode on that boat myself it resounds of happy times of a family raised at the water's edge.

It seemed like a good place to keep them.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

My Ikkyu and Nikkyu certificates from Okinawa are in this frame, which is displayed on a corner shelf in our dining room:

http://s21.postimg.org/o22tsaxk7/Ikkyu_Certificate.jpg

I've never framed any other certificate. My Shodan certificate will someday be put in the frame, above.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have my dan certificates in borderless glass frames in my office at home. Gup certificates are in a folder with other bits and pieces like course certificates.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've got lots of my certificates and credentials in clear plastic sleeves in a notebook at home. I do have several of my black belt certificates and instructor certificates in frames that were hanging in my parent's house. I have that at home with me, now, and when we get some walls up in the basement, I'll have a place to hang them.

For the most part, they are in some pretty standard wooden frames from Wal-Mart. My 4th dan certificate is kind of bigger, so we are going to try to figure something out with that.