• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cradle Hold with Knees

Yes, it's rare that knee strikes to the ribs are going to end a fight. They suck, for sure. But the primary reason for doing them is to get the opponent to lower his defenses so you can transition to a more dominant position (knee mount, mount, or a more controlling side control)

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The thing about the cradle, though, is that its a pinning combination in Wrestling. I think one might get more beneficial knee strikes off in the initial hold, as opposed as to where the hold is supposed to end up. I'm just trying to piece this together in my head, though, so I could be missing something.

The thing about the cradle, though, is that its a pinning combination in Wrestling. I think one might get more beneficial knee strikes off in the initial hold, as opposed as to where the hold is supposed to end up. I'm just trying to piece this together in my head, though, so I could be missing something.

Agreed, Brian. I don't think it would have much benefit to roll the opponent up.

I still feel the force of the strikes will cause you to break your own grip, however. There are better positions for performing this type of technique.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Agreed, Brian. I don't think it would have much benefit to roll the opponent up.

I still feel the force of the strikes will cause you to break your own grip, however. There are better positions for performing this type of technique.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too, like the standard Thai clinch while standing. I think once on the ground, one is probably better off focusing on gaining a submission, or working to a more dominant position to strike from, like the mount or side control. I think knees from side control would be more applicable.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I've been around, but thanks for the feedback.

Some things I've learned applying this idea in training in the past couple of months: During a traditional setup for this, it is sometimes better to just stand up and throw the knee, then do whatever turtle shenanigans you usually get up to, like doing that again. And again. It's lovely, try it sometime if you do jits with hits.

Another thing, as some of you brought up, there can be a grip issue when throwing knees from the full position, but I've found this to be easily remedied by stacking and launching the knee at a downward angle. Great way to nail the liver, and usually opens a load of transitions.

I recommend it.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy