• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Schola Saint George (Fiorian sword fighting)

sensei8

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a video that shows an interpretation of some of the 2 handed sword plays (what Japanese martial arts folks would call Waza) of Fiore as laid out in the Getty Manuscript

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGB8ngvggs&list=FLt14YOvYhd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

Nice...thank you for sharing it!!

What I didn't like much was when one of the combatants grabbed the sword. Yes, he was wearing a glove, but if he hadn't worn the glove, would he have been so willing to do so? I don't think I would've. I'd grab anything else but a live blade because of the ramifications of doing so. A lot of MA train how to safely grab a knife, so be it, but is that the same thing with a live sword? I don't imagine it to be the same thing for some numerous reason(s).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

1) In a swordfight the fighters wore thick gloves for protection

2) Swords wont cut you unless you let the blade slide across your flesh.

3) Swords aren't as sharp as people think

4) As one master of the era put it, A small cut on the hand is fine if it means you kill the opponent.

Great video, thank you for sharing that with us, Zoodles. It does a great job of showing how Western Swordsmanship is a precision system, and not the clang and bang system it gets reputed to be in movies. That video shows the footwork and precision involved in the use of the sword. Great stuff.

A sword is longer, but more importantly, the sword is heavier than a knife. Therefore, the sword's chance of sliding across one flesh is more favorable because of that. However, a grip is a grip!

A sword is longer, but more importantly, the sword is heavier than a knife. Therefore, the sword's chance of sliding across one flesh is more favorable because of that. However, a grip is a grip!

That's true! The funny thing is that as time moved on the long sword started to get made more for thrusts as well due to the nature of the armor worn by the opposing side. So while it was still great for slashing, it became more and more apt at killing with the point as well.

http://www.worksofrichardmarsden.com/historyofthelongsword.htm

If you have the time, this is a cool article. There is a pictured timeline that illustrates the evolution.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Half-swording was a much used tactic, and probably safer than one would realize.

Is the way we grasp a knifes blade the same way that we would grasp a swords blade? I'm asking because I don't know! I was taught to treat the blade of a sword not as a friend but something as an enemy that can hurt/harm me, therefore, grasp the person and not the blade!! For me, I will grab a knife as I was taught, but I'm not too keen on grasping a swords blade.

Someone please set me straight!!