• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Schola Saint George (Fiorian sword fighting)

sensei8

Zaine,

Could you please tell us about this art/style. I could research it, and possibly I will, but, I'd rather hear about it from someone who's involved with it first. By the name alone, it seems quite interesting.

Thank you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst waiting, you might enjoy this...

K.

Ooohhhh...I like it...I'm getting goose bumps...I LOVE IT...I WANT TO DO IT...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! I love contact so much so that I often look for excessive contact!! I could be sick, but I know what I like!!

Thanks for the link, I need that! My wife says that she thinks that she's seen what your video showed on some current TV contest, do you know what she's referring to??

Thanks for the video!!

:)

Schola Saint George is a system that is based of manuscripts written by Fiore Dei Liberi the main one being Flors Di Battaglia (The Flower of Battle). It is one of the earliest surviving manuscripts for swordplay in the western world and many consider Fiore as a base for which all Italian sword play evolved (I find that difficult to believe but as I have only just started reading the history I can't make any definitive claims). We use the Longsword, Daga, Poleaxe, Sword and Buckler, Rapier, Spear and there is unarmed combat. Just like the Martial Arts that you are used to it is a belted system but I think there are only 5 belts ending in red. Instead of Kata there are plays which is essentially step drills that are made to give us scenarios where if opponent does "X" you can do this. Right now at my level (the base and everyone starts out as unbelted) I am learning the longsword plays (called the Largo plays) although my instructor likes to get ahead a little and so I know so Daga stuff as well. What I can say the most about it is that it is a lot of fun and I enjoy every second of it. If you have anymore questions ask me, this is just a general overview and I'm at work so I'm distracted so specific questions are welcome. I added the link to the website for the school below.

https://www.scholasaintgeorge.com

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Schola Saint George is a system that is based of manuscripts written by Fiore Dei Liberi the main one being Flors Di Battaglia (The Flower of Battle). It is one of the earliest surviving manuscripts for swordplay in the western world and many consider Fiore as a base for which all Italian sword play evolved (I find that difficult to believe but as I have only just started reading the history I can't make any definitive claims). We use the Longsword, Daga, Poleaxe, Sword and Buckler, Rapier, Spear and there is unarmed combat. Just like the Martial Arts that you are used to it is a belted system but I think there are only 5 belts ending in red. Instead of Kata there are plays which is essentially step drills that are made to give us scenarios where if opponent does "X" you can do this. Right now at my level (the base and everyone starts out as unbelted) I am learning the longsword plays (called the Largo plays) although my instructor likes to get ahead a little and so I know so Daga stuff as well. What I can say the most about it is that it is a lot of fun and I enjoy every second of it. If you have anymore questions ask me, this is just a general overview and I'm at work so I'm distracted so specific questions are welcome. I added the link to the website for the school below.

https://www.scholasaintgeorge.com

Thank you so very much, Zaine!! I will have more question, I'm sure, after I read the link you've provided.

Again...THANK YOU!!

:D

You Love excessive contact Sensei? You sound like Eric San, my Sensei now Lol, he wants you to hit him! "Go on, I'll give you the first Five." It takes a brave Karateka to keep sparring if he is still standing. :D

Look to the far mountain and see all.

The video Kusatare posted isn't from Fiore or HEMA, but rather Historical Medieval Battles, a kind of combat sport that draws loosely from HEMA. You can tell due the anachronistic combinations of plate armour and shield,and the way they are using the sword in armoured combat

Schola St. George uses belts? interesting. Most HEMA places seem to use the the system based on the London Masters.

I Study Armizare..the art that Fiore lays out in his manuscript, although I don't study with Schola St. George.

Armizare is very similar to the Japanese idea of a Bujutusu. Its a complete and wholly integrated system that will teach you how to fight with numerous weapons, both armed and unarmed. It even teaches fighting on horseback. The wonderful thing about Fiore's system is how integrated it is. The Getty manuscript is the most comprehensive, and most people base their study on it. Its laid out in a progressive fashion, starting with grappling, then dagger, then sword and on into various other weapons..from the short range to the long range.

It builds on a foundation of grappling. The grappling system is based on four postas..postures or guard positions. Nearly ever grappling play (or waza as you would call in japanese) can be broken down into transitions between and combinations of, these four postas. Now the grappling system is simple and basic..its not going to win you a medal at the Mundials, but its not meant to. Its meant to provide a base of technique that can be implemented and integrated into the weapon use.

There is common terminology, positions, footwork and technique for everything. Once you learn the basics, you can apply them to just about anything. You can see the same techniques from dagger, adapted to sword, adapted to spear, adapted to pollaxe. Fiore ever shows how a basic dagger defense can be adapted to using flexible objects like a scarf or hat.

It is simple and consistent. Fiore applies the same philosophical principles to everything he shows, and its all kept remarkably straight forward.

• 3 weeks later...

A few! Overlooked that question.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scrimatore

For the Schola Saint George you can find them here.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/