• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need more combinations...ideas and suggestions

Hi there, i'm trying to up my Muay Thai game, by adding in more combinations. Just wondering if anyone has some favorites they've had a lot o success with?

Also, I was wondering from those who are from a karate background, if they've had success with a particular technique or combination? I've been watching a lot of kyokushin videos, and have picked up the axe kick pretty well, and i've noticed one particular combo, a 1-2 to the body and kick to the head is pretty effective, but does it translate well to thai boxing?

Just trying to think outside the box here, any suggestions are welcome! :)

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

1-2 followed with a head kick is a great finisher.

I never expect this to land at first, as people tend to be more on guard at the start of a match. Its more of a finisher, in my experience, to end a match when fatigue sets in.

My personal fav is:

Front leg roundhouse, solid jab, cross, rear leg round house.

Then follow up with cross/hook front uppercut, which will lead you back to starting position if your in control of the fights movement.

Alternate follow up is for the rear leg to move straight into a second kick once it retracts from the roundhouse, such as a spinning back kick or axe kick.

In Japanese (kyokushin talk):

Hidari Mawashi geri, Oi Tsuki, Gyaku Tsuki, Migi Mawashi Geri.

The other great thing about this particular combo is you can vary the height of th kicks with ease. Mix it up and keep your opponent thinking.

Low kick, punch/punch, mid kick.

Low kick, punch/punch, low kick.

Low kick, punch/punch, high kick.

High kick, punch/punch, low/takedown kick.

You get the picture.

A personal MT fav of mine is a soft/quick jab, followed through to a spinning elbow on the opposite arm.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 3 months later...

One that has worked greatly for me is probably the same one that you described.

Jab to the face, Right Cross to the body (make sure he takes his guard down to block) and a roundhouse to the head.

Jab, Cross, Roundhouse.

Another combination that has worked "okay" is Jab-Cross-Cross.

It's for use with a low-guard, otherwise it will miss a lot of power. Great for Kyokushin sparring.

And finally, one of my favorites. More of a setup.

Jab and create some distance, the put in a LONG front kick to fend off your opponent for a few seconds, then go ahead with a massive back side kick.

Worked a few times.

Side kicks in general are great, actually. As specially for defense. No combination needed.

• 1 month later...

This is a great question and a great example of why I love this message board!

Rather than having a go-to combination, I recall making major strides in my Muay Thai when I increased my shadow boxing with many kicking combinations. My foot worked improved greatly.

Also, if you have a good training partner, fun low-impact very light but very fluid "sparring" with combinations helps develop the combos in real time making adjustments with range. This was a big help for me. Sparring may not be the right word by the way. I had a few partners where we would put on pads and very gingerly allow each other to work combos while we bounced around. It's "cooperative low impact" sparring. This was immensely helpful and a real game changer for me and my development.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• 2 weeks later...

Front push kick head kick to spinning back fist is a favorite of mine. you keep them miving to the rear something should land of the three. the beauty of the spinning backfist though is if they try and move in on you it can be changed to a spinning elbow. hope that's a helper. or front leg roundhouse to the thigh and then bring the foot to the head. this is a good one to use if you've been overwhelming your opponent and they are tired and juat trying to survive. a lot of times you can catch them with their hands down when you throw the kick to the inside of the leg.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

http://www.fightsgoneby.com/

Read all of Jack Slack's articles, concepts with help you more than combinations I'd wager.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

• 1 month later...
1-2 followed with a head kick is a great finisher.

I never expect this to land at first, as people tend to be more on guard at the start of a match. Its more of a finisher, in my experience, to end a match when fatigue sets in.

My personal fav is:

Front leg roundhouse, solid jab, cross, rear leg round house.

Then follow up with cross/hook front uppercut, which will lead you back to starting position if your in control of the fights movement.

Alternate follow up is for the rear leg to move straight into a second kick once it retracts from the roundhouse, such as a spinning back kick or axe kick.

In Japanese (kyokushin talk):

Hidari Mawashi geri, Oi Tsuki, Gyaku Tsuki, Migi Mawashi Geri.

The other great thing about this particular combo is you can vary the height of th kicks with ease. Mix it up and keep your opponent thinking.

Low kick, punch/punch, mid kick.

Low kick, punch/punch, low kick.

Low kick, punch/punch, high kick.

High kick, punch/punch, low/takedown kick.

You get the picture.

A personal MT fav of mine is a soft/quick jab, followed through to a spinning elbow on the opposite arm.

visited This thread again for ideas while shadow-boxing

At my kickboxing school we're taught that generally speaking, after you punch with left you kick with right and after punching with your right you kick with your left. Is that just for beginners? I notice your combos don't follow this, and I've seen plenty online that also don't. The instructors are mostly kyokushin-based I think, or at least have their base in some form of karate. When I try to kick with one leg after punching with the same hand I only manage to do it with any power if the punch is a feint.

Also, any idea how I can work combos that start with a kick into my shadow boxing? nowadays I follow my kicks through, which means that when I don't have a target I can't follow a kick up with a punch, only a spinning kick or side kick.