• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to karate- Personal dilema. Need advice.

n4tive

Hello everyone,

New here. Just wanted to share something that has been worrying me for a few days. I'm a traditional karate practitioner (Goju). Practiced for several years as a young man, but had to stop due to economic reasons.

Almost seventeen (17 - 20) years later (I'm in my late 30's) finally found a dojo so I can continue what I consider a way of life and a means to condition/discipline mind, body and spirit.

I'm out of shape due to a sedentary lifestyle (family + work little time to work out) had to stop several times during training as I have to rediscipline my body (breathing). The thing is, and I'm not sure if its me, I find sensei (several of them) a little too "pushy" (as if I have been training with them for awhile) considering that I have been inactive for so many years. To make matters a bit more "complicated" some sensei are a bit rude. During bunkai practice I noticed the sensei a bit distracted, I thought she may have forgotten or simple just lost track so I reminded her the "kick" she looked at me and said "what, are you telling me what to do now?" I didn't know how to react, so I simply bowed and apologized.

I am very grateful I found a traditional dojo, and I consider myself a very simple/humble person, just as in true karate humble roots. But for me a good sensei is a humble one, in touch with people. Am I wrong to feel this way? as I'm begnning to have second thoughts, I do not want to practice and feel unconfortable with the attitude of some sensei.

What are your thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My only though: shut up and train! :)

Come back in 5 years and post again. :)

Now serious, I used to have a note on my door on the way out from home. It said: don't come back, get out of the door and train! Helped me I suppose...

I do not want to practice and feel unconfortable with the attitude of some sensei.

Then don't. You shouldn't have to train in a place that you feel uncomfortable training in. That being said, as a new student in the dojo it probably wasn't the best idea to remind (or correct) the sensei on bunkai. It doesn't come across as helpful from a new student and not a lot of sensei (or people) know how to take it in stride without feeling like it was an affront.

Again, if you feel uncomfortable then just find another dojo. We learn better in a place where we feel comfortable with our surroundings and you will end up enjoying your training more.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I do not want to practice and feel unconfortable with the attitude of some sensei.

Then don't. You shouldn't have to train in a place that you feel uncomfortable training in. That being said, as a new student in the dojo it probably wasn't the best idea to remind (or correct) the sensei on bunkai. It doesn't come across as helpful from a new student and not a lot of sensei (or people) know how to take it in stride without feeling like it was an affront.

Again, if you feel uncomfortable then just find another dojo. We learn better in a place where we feel comfortable with our surroundings and you will end up enjoying your training more.

I agree and understand. I did iunconsciously, and quickly apologized. I still believe the backlash was totally unnecessary, specially coming from a person with more than thirdteen years of practice. One of the seven principles posted in the dojo is humbleness, I rarely see it.

Theres only a handful of people practicing, most of them black belts. Average age is 30+ for the adult class. Most have been practicing for more than ten years. I dont think they get many new pupils.

Some clubs like that exclusiveness and they eventually disappear. It harbors an elitism that is really hard to break through. Generally these places end up putting out BBs who know how to fight and have great technique but fail to understand what it is to be a Martial Artist.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Agreed... :)

How well do you know your new instructors? How well do they know you? Usually, as an instructor myself, when I'm confronted with a "new" student (I know you said you're a returning student) that attempts to help/suggest/correct me, I usually respond with something like, "Thank you, we instructors will handle it..." in as professional manner as possible. It's not that we're trying to discount input from new students; we're trying to establish credibility as instructors, as well as prevent "too many cooks in the kitchen".

It's the same line of reasoning why we don't allow advanced kyu students to teach kata to any less ranked/experienced students. They can help other students with kata, but cannot teach kata. Only black belt / instructors may teach kata to students, but I digress...

The instructor could have had a bad day and let it get to her (yes, not professional, but we're human, too), or whatever. On the other side of that, there are instructors that are just egotistic and rude.

Either way, if y'all don't know each other well enough, yet, give it some time to get to know each other. Then, misunderstandings from attitudes, emotions, etc will happen much less.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Agreed... :)

How well do you know your new instructors? How well do they know you? Usually, as an instructor myself, when I'm confronted with a "new" student (I know you said you're a returning student) that attempts to help/suggest/correct me, I usually respond with something like, "Thank you, we instructors will handle it..." in as professional manner as possible. It's not that we're trying to discount input from new students; we're trying to establish credibility as instructors, as well as prevent "too many cooks in the kitchen".

It's the same line of reasoning why we don't allow advanced kyu students to teach kata to any less ranked/experienced students. They can help other students with kata, but cannot teach kata. Only black belt / instructors may teach kata to students, but I digress...

The instructor could have had a bad day and let it get to her (yes, not professional, but we're human, too), or whatever. On the other side of that, there are instructors that are just egotistic and rude.

Either way, if y'all don't know each other well enough, yet, give it some time to get to know each other. Then, misunderstandings from attitudes, emotions, etc will happen much less.

:karate:

Agreed. It wasn't my intention to "correct" the sensei, I thought she may have lost track of the step we where in, just as she was having a little difficulty remembering some steps.

I barely know any of the instructors, but the seem not the "friendly" type, even amongst themselves, and not the "too friendly" type. I'm friendly (prudence) person myself, and tought to have manners (I'm of native american descent, we are tought to be humble as child into adulthood) I greet hello/welcome and goodbye/farewell (in and out of the dojo [not during practice of course]) sometimes I feel they become a little impatient as if having trouble repeating steps for those having trouble understanding.

This may be a temporary thing as they get to know me and me them. But that small incident left a bad taste, any other person would've just left the dojo and quit.

Agreed. It wasn't my intention to "correct" the sensei, I thought she may have lost track of the step we where in, just as she was having a little difficulty remembering some steps.

I barely know any of the instructors, but the seem not the "friendly" type, even amongst themselves, and not the "too friendly" type. I'm friendly (prudence) person myself, and tought to have manners (I'm of native american descent, we are tought to be humble as child into adulthood) I greet hello/welcome and goodbye/farewell (in and out of the dojo [not during practice of course]) sometimes I feel they become a little impatient as if having trouble repeating steps for those having trouble understanding.

This may be a temporary thing as they get to know me and me them. But that small incident left a bad taste, any other person would've just left the dojo and quit.

I'm with you... :) Bad first impressions are difficult to overcome. Do the same instructors always teach the same classes? If there's opportunity to experience different instructors, find an instructor or instructors that work better for you. If not, give them a chance. If it turns out they're just a pessimistic, rude lot, then it might not be the dojo for you (not sure it would be for me, either... :P )

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I'm with you... :) Bad first impressions are difficult to overcome. Do the same instructors always teach the same classes? If there's opportunity to experience different instructors, find an instructor or instructors that work better for you. If not, give them a chance. If it turns out they're just a pessimistic, rude lot, then it might not be the dojo for you (not sure it would be for me, either... :P )

There are several, yes. Some nicer than others.

But after a few minutes of traquil meditation I came to realize I may have overreacted a bit. Normally I tend not to pay mind to small stuff like this, but lately I've been going through a "tough times" and been more "emotional" than normal. Thank you all for the advice, it has been a learning experience for me.

Solid info and advise - I would say give them a chance but also look around.

Sometimes it's the instructor that has to adjust the teaching to fit the student as we all learn differently. I hate to think how many people have walked away from a Dojo/club/org because of a minor incident or a flippant remark, but if this attitude continues and you are not comfortable with it then look again.

Some traditionalists have the teaching attitude of being pushy to make their students work, this is fine for dedicated and senior grades but needs to be different with beginners. I like being pushed but I won't tolerate anyone being rude.

Thinking of the situation, several times I have done the wrong move or gone into the wrong Kata because i was trying to think too much of the next section, normally when I want to adapt my lesson plan on the fly. Personally i make a joke of it if I get mixed up, some would see that as wrong but I am also only human.

I like your humble attitude and think it is very fitting for MA, keep training and let us know how it goes.