• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Person Question

xnovak1023

Hello! I am new to the forums and am currently trying to find a new martial art. I have studied quite a bit, mainly being Aikido, but I have always wanted to train in a style of Karate. A bit of research has led me to lean toward Wado-Ryu due to its likeness of my previous way, Aikido, from Jujitsu stand points. But the problem is there isn't a dojo or club anywhere near my area in Southeastern Wisconsin. I have found a Goju-Ryu and Shotokan dojos 20 miles from me. A pen pal who studies Wado Ryu suggested Shotokan being closer in basis to Wado Ryu but to give both a try. I plan on trying both as soon as possible, as I do wish to study many martial arts, but I'd prefer to train in Wado Ryu. Is there any sort of search out there that I am missing? (Other than Google and DojoLacator?) Again, I am new. I apologize for any ignorance I may have displayed. Thank you so much for your time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello! I am new to the forums and am currently trying to find a new martial art. I have studied quite a bit, mainly being Aikido, but I have always wanted to train in a style of Karate. A bit of research has led me to lean toward Wado-Ryu due to its likeness of my previous way, Aikido, from Jujitsu stand points. But the problem is there isn't a dojo or club anywhere near my area in Southeastern Wisconsin. I have found a Goju-Ryu and Shotokan dojos 20 miles from me. A pen pal who studies Wado Ryu suggested Shotokan being closer in basis to Wado Ryu but to give both a try. I plan on trying both as soon as possible, as I do wish to study many martial arts, but I'd prefer to train in Wado Ryu. Is there any sort of search out there that I am missing? (Other than Google and DojoLacator?) Again, I am new. I apologize for any ignorance I may have displayed. Thank you so much for your time.

You can try asking local martial arts instructors if they know any other teachers in the area--most of them do, even if you can't find them on Google. That said, the best advice I can give would be to visit all of the karate schools in your area, talk to the instructors, watch classes, and try classes, and attend the one you like best. Style is really less important than the environment and teacher, so you might find that any number of other karate styles actually give you more enjoyment. Just a thought :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thank you so much for your reply. I took your advice immediately and made a few calls to old friends in the area that run a dojo and MA club. Both had given me the same answers, "Not too much but McDojos and BBMills." As discouraged as I may be, I am willing to drive anywhere up to two hours from where I am now for a good instructor and environment. Does anyone know legitimate karate dojos or clubs in northern Illinois / southern Wisconsin?

Thank you so much for your reply. I took your advice immediately and made a few calls to old friends in the area that run a dojo and MA club. Both had given me the same answers, "Not too much but McDojos and BBMills." As discouraged as I may be, I am willing to drive anywhere up to two hours from where I am now for a good instructor and environment. Does anyone know legitimate karate dojos or clubs in northern Illinois / southern Wisconsin?

The man who started my karate journey (I trained with him for 6 months before he moved) actually lives in the Gurnee area. He is friendly, good at making class fun, and a good teacher. He used to teach out of a church community room, but I'm not 100% sure if he still does that. If you are interested, I could get the two of you in touch?

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

I would very much appreciate that. Although, Gurnee is about an hour and a half from me, so I wouldn't be able to make it down there more than once or twice a week.

I'll talk to him and see what he can do--PM me your details!

I'm not allowed to PM yet due to being a new user.

Then, possibly you can post it until then.

:)

If the details are something you'd rather PM Wastelander instead of posting the details, then by all means, wait until you're allowed to PM.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!