• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado - Shotokan

mal103

Are they close, I did Wado Ryu years ago before starting Shotokan but i only did a year.

Recently I have had a Brown belt Wado lad start at my Shotokan Dojo, they seemed to get along with most things but just wondering how close they are. Hopefully from someone who has trained in both.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They are of the same branch of the style tree, the Shuri te part. But they are very different, the core is used to give different power generation in both. It is more of an issue than height of stance and foot planting, the hip action is different and the compression/expansion timing is unique in both. The pivot in Wado Ryu about the spine differs in Shotokan also. Wado Ryu is in one way more Japanese at it has an influence of Jui Jitsu in the style. I'm not saying they are not compatible, they can be; this makes an interesting learning path, if a challenging one.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Maybe, at the beginning they were quite close, but they are not now.

Probably, Ohtsuka's karate was closer to Funakoshi's (ie pre Nakayama days).

But either way, I think the genus of Wado is closer to that of koryu jujutsu than it is Okinawan karate.

Granted, the omote of the form is quite similar, but underneath it is very different

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

But either way, I think the genus of Wado is closer to that of koryu jujutsu than it is Okinawan karate.

Granted, the omote of the form is quite similar, but underneath it is very different

Where's a good source for Japanese Karate / Wado Ryu history? I mean, besides the usual Funakoshi books and whatnot? I've looked around on places like Wikipedia, but I'm not sure how much I can trust those sources. I say "besides Funakoshi" because I like to have more than one source of information.

I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to Okinawan karate/Ti history and genus, but not much of Japanese...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Where's a good source for Japanese Karate / Wado Ryu history? I mean, besides the usual Funakoshi books and whatnot? I've looked around on places like Wikipedia, but I'm not sure how much I can trust those sources. I say "besides Funakoshi" because I like to have more than one source of information.

I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to Okinawan karate/Ti history and genus, but not much of Japanese...

Whenever people describe Wado-ryu Karate, with the next breath they inevitably use the term "Jujutsu".

Unfortunatley, most folk then hear "Jujutsu" and associate it with the modern day stuff with the reather generic locks, holds and throws.

The classical Jujutsu practiced by the Koryu traditions of Japan however is a very different beast.

It's a fairly length read but here is a very good essay on the subject by UK Wado-ryu instructor Tim Shaw...

http://www.wadoryu.org.uk/jujutsu.html

It's as good a place to start than any.

[edit] Cook's "Shotokan: A precise History" also details how Funakoshi's karate spread to Through Japan and beyond.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I got to brown belt in Wado and changed to Shotokan when I moved area and couldn't find a club. I found them pretty similar to be honest!

Subtle differences in kata and Shuto Uke is executed differently along with Uchi and Soto Uke being opposite to one another. Wado also doesn't use marking hands nor does it change hands during Ren techniques.