• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Kalaripayattu practioners?

Its an indian martial arts older than Shaolin Kung fu and possibily the first historic martial arts. Althogh its much less popular than chinese/japanese martial arts.

Curios to know if anyone has trained in Kalaripayattu or perhaps sparred or fought againts these martial arts whether through friends or mma competition?

I have not been active in this forum since...well last december so I look forward chatting with you once again :)

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry, haven't come across it in my journey or in tournaments.

Welcome back to KF... I joined July 2013, so I'm new since when you last were here.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Welcome back to KF! :karate: Kalaripayattu is pretty tough to really find around; its just not that popular. I'd be interested to hear from someone who actually participates in it.

See thats whats so puzzling, I know so many ppl who are in to yoga and there is such a big Yoga culture in canada as well as america which made me wonder as to why Kalaripayattu is also not big in todays day and age.

I mean really since mid 2000s Yoga and MMA have become so mainstream and it made me think why there are no kalaripayattu schools in todays western culture.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

Do you have any links to videos of it? I'd love to see what it looks like.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

No, but there is a large chapter on it in a book called "The Way of the Warrior; the Paradox of the Martial Arts.", you can buy it second hand online, it's about 12 years old.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

See thats whats so puzzling, I know so many ppl who are in to yoga and there is such a big Yoga culture in canada as well as america which made me wonder as to why Kalaripayattu is also not big in todays day and age.

I mean really since mid 2000s Yoga and MMA have become so mainstream and it made me think why there are no kalaripayattu schools in todays western culture.

I think the main reason is because what was originally Kalaripayattu is not the same as what it is today. I think that what it was is probably gone, and there is an attempt to resurrect it because of the stigma of being "the oldest style," which I doubt is the case, unless he was the first man of the first civilization to do any fighting, which would be really hard to trace.

I'm not trying to put the style down. That's not my point. But I don't think there is a hard and fast way to trace back what the practitioners of today are doing to what it was orginally.

I think the main reason is because what was originally Kalaripayattu is not the same as what it is today. I think that what it was is probably gone, and there is an attempt to resurrect it because of the stigma of being "the oldest style," which I doubt is the case, unless he was the first man of the first civilization to do any fighting, which would be really hard to trace.

I'm not trying to put the style down. That's not my point. But I don't think there is a hard and fast way to trace back what the practitioners of today are doing to what it was orginally.

The art has mainly been taught to specific persons chosen by the instructors. It has never really been an art that allows people to simply "sign up". This is likely, IMO, the main reason it is not widely available outside of India.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Welcome back to KF! :karate: Kalaripayattu is pretty tough to really find around; its just not that popular. I'd be interested to hear from someone who actually participates in it.

I concur!!

I'd like to see some writings and/or some videos about Kalaripayattu, if you have any to share.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!