• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GSP stepping away, vacates title

Here's the story: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/440288/GSP-taking-break-from-MMA-vacating-title/

What do you think? Do you think he'll come back, or is he done for good? I am personally in the camp of folks that think he lost that last fight, and I feel this move hurts Hendricks a bit more than anyone else.

What happens now?

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much does he need the sound of the crowds? How much does he need the approval of his peers and/or fans?

I don't know if he'll ever come back, but how he answers the first question above, might tell us a lot about him both as a person and as a MAist.

A lot of those in the spotlight truly miss the need to compete in front of the crowds. The crowd is a drawing factor, especially when you're at the top of your venue. Pro-Wrestlers come out of retirement because they miss the "pop" of the crowd.

In GSP, I think it'll be the desire to compete and to test his own mettle. Imho, he's nothing to prove.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
How much does he need the sound of the crowds? How much does he need the approval of his peers and/or fans?

I don't know if he'll ever come back, but how he answers the first question above, might tell us a lot about him both as a person and as a MAist.

A lot of those in the spotlight truly miss the need to compete in front of the crowds. The crowd is a drawing factor, especially when you're at the top of your venue. Pro-Wrestlers come out of retirement because they miss the "pop" of the crowd.

In GSP, I think it'll be the desire to compete and to test his own mettle. Imho, he's nothing to prove.

Imho!!

That may be a part of it, but many fighters end up coming back because of their finances. With scarce income compared to when they were on top, many fighters end up spending their way into the poorhouse after their initial retirement. Boxers seem particularly prone to this: Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, all bankrupt. Many of them ended up back in the ring far past their prime because of it.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

Imho!!

That may be a part of it, but many fighters end up coming back because of their finances. With scarce income compared to when they were on top, many fighters end up spending their way into the poorhouse after their initial retirement. Boxers seem particularly prone to this: Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, all bankrupt. Many of them ended up back in the ring far past their prime because of it.

Sadly this isn't present only in fighters. Too many athletes don't know how to manage their finances so when they no longer have income coming in the quickly go through it because they're still spending like they're going to get another 7 million soon.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Imho!!

Sadly this isn't present only in fighters. Too many athletes don't know how to manage their finances so when they no longer have income coming in the quickly go through it because they're still spending like they're going to get another 7 million soon.

Solid post!!

There's a documentary on Netflix, "Broke", it speaks about how they had all of the money in the world, and now, their flat broke.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 5 months later...

I've read lots if articles about GSP and why he do this. I personally can't blame him and for all those fans judging him for this, I'd love to see then in his position! I wrestled for a few years and before a match, there's always that kind of anxiety. I just have to deal with that anxiety for 3 months and then not worry about it for the rest of the year. Doing that for a living, year round, with so many fans expecting him to win and so many other guys wanting him to lose? The amount of time he has to put into training, studying his opponent and watching his every move to make sure he's prepared for the fight? It's insane! Unfortunately, I really am up in the air with how he did against Hendricks. Maybe it's because I just have a hard time imagining that he could flat out lose. Either way, I'd still love to see him return.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."