• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2014 Martial Arts Goals

Again, I think it's time to start putting thought into what steps we want to take as fighters and artists in the coming year to focus our training and make the most out of it.

In the pursuit of this list last year, I discovered some truly amazing things. So, what are everyone's goals for 2014?

I'll be back when I get to mull a bit.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to push forwards with our Association and help it to grow, we have training every night from Mon to Friday and we have 2 instructors in training so will have more flexibility.

I have about 20 students who I aim to get ready for their next grades in April and hopefully get them along to our summer camp.

I also want to run plenty of extra courses at the weekends for them and for beginners, the next will be in february and mix an intro to Karate with Womens only Self Defence classes.

For myself I want to work on a few Kata in preparation for my Sandan in a few years time and maybe get along to some big name courses. So long as I improve or try to improve I will be happy.

Well, last year I set goals to compete in my first MMA fight, pass my Ikkyu test in Shorin-Ryu, and attend more seminars. I did compete in my first MMA fight, I did pass my Ikkyu test, and I attended one more seminar than the year before, so I guess I succeeded! :)

In 2014, my goals are:

1. Attend more seminars (there were more I could have done and didn't)

2. Pass my Shodan test in Shorin-Ryu (scheduled for "summer" sometime :P)

3. Compete in a couple grappling competitions

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

New year; new goals. Being that my life is exponentially busier at the start of this new year than it was at the start of the last one.

1: Advance in the current system (I'm pretty sure they do advancements. If they don't it doesn't matter much as it's a lot of fun).

2: Get in better shape (running my first (half?) marathon in March. I can't remember what I agreed to as I agreed to it the day after my wife gave birth and I was very tired).

3: I'd like to start teaching again (Shorin Ryu).

I think that will do me for now. I'm looking forward to an awesome year!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

1. Continue working on getting back into pre-surgery condition: ~200-210lbs (~90.72-95.25kg), build stamina, build strength (my strength is OK, just not what it used to be)

2. Continue my Ti journey; hopefully, by end of 2014 my Ti instructor will recognize me as an advanced student in Ti.

3. Complete my learning of the moves of Kusanku (rest of my life to master). My Ti instructor is slowly showing bits and pieces of the Kata; ensures I can perform the moves with high skill before he shows me the next part.

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

1: Achieve 2nd Kyu this year.

2: Pass my 60 credit Collage year.

3: Do as much Yoga as I can.

4: Catch a Trout keeper from our local river.

5: Stay Happy, Committed, and Loving.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Yeah...this year my goals will be easy. I won't be making any for 2014. If I was to, then my 2013 professional goals still stand, but not possible.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My 2014 Martial Arts Goals

1 Be black Belt in american kenpo karate

2 Be 1st place in the Tournament

3 Be in a Swat Team

4 Be in the Black Belt Club

5 lower my cholesterol

6 lower my blood preasure

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

My goals this year:

1. I'd like to get back into Combat Hapkido, and make at least one testing happen. I'm still waiting to see if I'll have a partner for this.

2. Continue to play a larger role in the Defensive Tactics class and club through the college here. This allows me to take time to learn knew things, and keep polished on my GRACIE skills.

3. Attain certification in further defensive tactics training.

4. Hold at least two more training sessions for my department or other departments.

So, after some consideration here's some thoughts on my 2014 Goals:

1) Continue my 3x per week average on the mats. I made it happen last year, I want to keep it going this year. It's not realistic to ask for more. I have family and work to adequately address as well. But keeping 3 should be do-able.

2) On the heels of this, additional workout time during the week on the weights and/or running. If I get to jits 4x in a week I'll let myself take a pass. But it I'm 3x in a week then I need another day (minimum) to do some extra fitness work. I've been slacking on this of late.

3) In addition to BJJ, I want to maintain my 1/ month deep work maintaining stand up. This lets me keep up my skill there while working in the new JKD material I've been exposed to in sparring.

4) Speaking of JKD, I want to get to at least 2-3 major seminars or in depth courses next year and 3-4 significant privates.

4a) I want as much of this as possible to focus on the FMA aspects of the art.

4b) I'd like to add classic trapping work to my toll box here. Most of my exposure is along the lines of functional trapping. Which is cool, but I'd like to see the source material.

5) On the jiu jitsu side of things, where I still want to spend most of my time, I'm gonna step out on a limb here...I hope to earn my black belt by the end of the 2014 year. That would be just over two years at brown. If I maintain the 3+ training sessions per week I should be on track to be ELIGIBLE for it. Like I said, might be tight on this one. But that's my goal. Obviously, I'll get there when my coach thinks I'm ready and that might not be 2014, but again, that's the goal.

6) One tournament this year. As busy as I am in and out of the arts it's asking a lot to get to regular tournies, but one should be do-able.

There they are. Now it's on paper, gotta stay at it now.