• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Article: 10 Reasons Why Kids Should Wrestle

Here's an article citing 10 reasons why kids should get into Wrestling: http://fortiuswrestling.com/10-reasons-why-kids-should-wrestle/

I have to agree. Its a great sport for kids, and is a great Martial Art for them, as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I liked it...solid points!! The one thing that does happen more than not in any sport involving kids is that the sport, and the fun of it, is quickly replaced by the emphasis on winning. That to me is sad!

Still, thanks for sharing it with us, Brian!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great article and the truth. I played baseball for years, and loved it. But, I never played for the high school team. Too much politics and too much blame being tossed about for a loss. When the wrestling team started, I joined right away and loved every minute of it. In hind sight. Practice was brutal, weight management and cutting sucked in ways you have to experience to understand. Going from practice to the dojo was...rough. I miss it. I wish the team had been established years earlier, but I'm thankful for the couple of years I got in. If more schools had wrestling programs I can't see it being a bad thing. One minute you are trying to break their will and tear down their bodies. The next you are collapsed in the bleachers together sucking down water and passing out oranges and peanut butter sandwiches from the team stash.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

ShoriKid, those are great points. I only wrestled my 8th grade year, and wasn't very good. But looking back now, I wish I would have stuck with it. Now, I live vicariously, and train vicariously, through my son.

I liked it...solid points!! The one thing that does happen more than not in any sport involving kids is that the sport, and the fun of it, is quickly replaced by the emphasis on winning. That to me is sad!

That's the thing with Wrestling, though, Bob. Its a competition with yourself. When I Wrestled, I wasn't very good, and I wasn't a varsity Wrestler, but they have meets that non-varsity Wresltlers can compete at. The most valuable lesson that it teaches, in my opinion, is the one learned out there on the mat, just two people, each responsible for their own training, and how much they put into it. Each match, something is learned. Is winning important? Yes, it is. But, its not the only thing in Wrestling.

ShoriKid, those are great points. I only wrestled my 8th grade year, and wasn't very good. But looking back now, I wish I would have stuck with it. Now, I live vicariously, and train vicariously, through my son.

That's the thing with Wrestling, though, Bob. Its a competition with yourself. When I Wrestled, I wasn't very good, and I wasn't a varsity Wrestler, but they have meets that non-varsity Wresltlers can compete at. The most valuable lesson that it teaches, in my opinion, is the one learned out there on the mat, just two people, each responsible for their own training, and how much they put into it. Each match, something is learned. Is winning important? Yes, it is. But, its not the only thing in Wrestling.

Unfortunately, here in Owasso, OK, winning IS EVERYTHING!! Those kids that aren't part of the "competitve" venue are treated like "a red headed step child", and in that, when our son, Nathan was on the "fun" venue, their trophies were left in a box in the corner of some back room, and we got the bad field choices. Hard to play baseball with big holes and the like everywhere in the outfield and the infield.

Sad!!

:kaioken:

**Proof is on the floor!!!