• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"You are not an operator"

bushido_man96

Here is a short article I found rather interesting in regards to the words we use in describing what we do, sometimes out of context, and how we view what we would like to train in, and how it differs in what we probably should spend our time training, especially when it comes to hand guns:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/05/16/you-are-not-an-operator/

Thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

However the label, surely it will be misunderstood by its interpretators as well as its reviewers.

I'm not much into guns, but in a MA way, I'm not an operator of the MA. No. I'm a director. I direct my said MA weapon(s) to said target without any reservation and/or prejudice. If I've missed the point of the article, forgive me, and I'll read it again until I do understand what it's speaking about.

I don't operate any kobudo weapon, no, I still direct it.

Still, very nice article. Thank you for it, Brian!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have little experience with handguns, but I think I see the point. It's like people who train unarmed or with blunt and edged weapons for civilian self defense purposes, but think of it like being a ninja, a bodyguard, a samurai, an assassin, or whatever. Save all that for the LARP group or the cosplay convention.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

IMHO, it comes back to humbleness of oneself, humility of one's mind. Recognize and admit to yourself what you are and are not, don't try to be something you are not. With the prevalence of Internet, video games, and online video games, it's easy for everyone to be a "virtual tough-guy". In reality, most of us, myself included, would soil our drawers and puke our guts out in fear if we were ever placed in a real war zone in a real combat situation (at which, frozen in fear sitting in our own juices, we would just be blown to bits).

A lot of my friends that own guns use the lingo that the article talks about, and it is rather annoying, similar to a trivial know-it-all that attempts to use jargon to look cool. In my case, I own a few firearms, and have been looking for classes that teach practical home-defense tactics, as well as self-defense tactics for conceal carriers for situations in public (i.e. an "active shooter" situation that a conceal carrier could respond to in the event that police/LEOs haven't shown up yet).

:cowboy:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Great responses, everyone, thank you.

Another term that tends to get used when it shouldn't, especially in the Martial Arts world, is the term "warrior." I think there tends to be too many that consider themselves warriors, just because they study a Martial Art, and its just not the case. The term "operator" is beginning to get tossed around more and more now, in kind of the same sense.

Its ok to be passionate about what you do, and its ok to be an advocate about what you do. But its also important to keep in perspective what it is you actually do.

Another term that tends to get used when it shouldn't, especially in the Martial Arts world, is the term "warrior." I think there tends to be too many that consider themselves warriors, just because they study a Martial Art, and its just not the case. The term "operator" is beginning to get tossed around more and more now, in kind of the same sense.

Its ok to be passionate about what you do, and its ok to be an advocate about what you do. But its also important to keep in perspective what it is you actually do.

Absolutely! :)

As for "operators" and "warriors", I most certainly am both: I'm a computer Operating Keyboard Warrior! :P Clickety clack! :D

In other words...

CredoTe <=== Nerd!!! :lol:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

As for "operators" and "warriors", I most certainly am both: I'm a computer Operating Keyboard Warrior! :P Clickety clack! :D

In other words...

:up: :lol:

In other words...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 months later...

Karateka should be focused on cultivating a peaceful and calm (quiet) mind, and self perfection of character. I've known a few real life spec ops guys and it requires a different mindset.

Bunkai Decoder

• 1 month later...
Karateka should be focused on cultivating a peaceful and calm (quiet) mind, and self perfection of character. I've known a few real life spec ops guys and it requires a different mindset.
I don't think its fair to say that Karateka should be relegated to cultivating a peaceful mind or self-perfection of character. That is how some Karateka felt about it, but I don't think its right to attach this to all Karateka to be their goals. Some people can do Karate and still develop that different mindset, or whichever mindset they choose.