• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My story. Want to start training karate, but I'm confused

Joppe

Update

2 weeks until my first grading. I feel good about it. More excited than nervous, but I'm sure the nerves will come the closer I get to the date.

I have the curiculum and know what is expected from me. I feel pretty confident for most of the curiculum but some things I am struggling with. The hardest is keage moving in kiba-dachi (I am struggling getting control of the left leg/hip and keeping the stance low while kicking).

I only have classes twice a week, so 5 months of training before grading has been perfect.

But with only two classes a week, I've had trouble reaching a decent level of conditioning (and loosing weight) to feel good about the karate training. My karate training twice a week has not been enough to gain the conditioning I need. Maybe it will change further on in the future.

To help me get in shape faster I have taken a mma class and doing some running and heavybag workout every week. It has been great and boosted my conditioning so that I am more focused during the karate class.

Now I am really looking forward to the grading and to show the senseis what I have learned.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with everything.

As far as moving in Kiba Dachi, I always try to tell students to focus on keeping their heads on the same level when they're walking. To pretend they're in a room where the ceiling is too low for them to stand up straight. That usually gets them to focus on the correct mechanics. Once you get it, your muscle memory will help keep you doing it right.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Update

2 weeks until my first grading. I feel good about it. More excited than nervous, but I'm sure the nerves will come the closer I get to the date.

I have the curiculum and know what is expected from me. I feel pretty confident for most of the curiculum but some things I am struggling with. The hardest is keage moving in kiba-dachi (I am struggling getting control of the left leg/hip and keeping the stance low while kicking).

I only have classes twice a week, so 5 months of training before grading has been perfect.

But with only two classes a week, I've had trouble reaching a decent level of conditioning (and loosing weight) to feel good about the karate training. My karate training twice a week has not been enough to gain the conditioning I need. Maybe it will change further on in the future.

To help me get in shape faster I have taken a mma class and doing some running and heavybag workout every week. It has been great and boosted my conditioning so that I am more focused during the karate class.

Now I am really looking forward to the grading and to show the senseis what I have learned.

Congrats on your progression and upcoming test!

I would suggest (to help your conditioning) doing other exercises outside of karate. If you do too much of one thing you will plateau to the point where the exercise doesn't do as much for your body as it did at first, this is why a lot of programs change up what kind of exercises you're doing after a set time period. If you're wanting more endurance, the heavybag workout is a great way to go, but don't discount a nice jog/run.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 2 weeks later...
Update

Congrats on your progression and upcoming test!

I would suggest (to help your conditioning) doing other exercises outside of karate. If you do too much of one thing you will plateau to the point where the exercise doesn't do as much for your body as it did at first, this is why a lot of programs change up what kind of exercises you're doing after a set time period. If you're wanting more endurance, the heavybag workout is a great way to go, but don't discount a nice jog/run.

I agree with Zaine here. Although Karate can be a good workout, and help you lose weight, it probably isn't the direct goal of your instructor to design the classes around weight loss. Take up some jogging or other cardio exercises to supplement your training, and I think you will see the results you are looking for. Good luck, and let us know how the testing goes.

Thanks for all your advice

I had my first grading last friday. It went well.

I graded from 10 kyo to 8 kyo.

I was nervous and made some small mistakes in the beginning of the kihon test (mostly because the nervousness) but the kata and kumite went great.

I got good fedback. I need to improve on the kombination of relaxing and kime. Relax when I should relax, and use power when I should use power. I tend to be too tense in the body all the time :)

It was a good experience and I learned much

• 5 months later...

Another update:

I passed 7 kyu yesterday. Great experience. The training is getting more and more demanding, but at the same time the grading feels more awarding.

Just like last time I had some small problems with the kihon, but I felt good about the Kata and Kumite.

Time to buy a new belt :)

The training is going really well. Since I started this thread in the forum (almost a year ago), I have lost 40 lbs. Last week I finished a 10K run under 60 minutes. My wife tells me I have become more relaxed and happier since I started Karate. My life has really changed.

Thanks again for the all the help and guidance!