• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nervous for graders

Had 17 of my students go for their grading today from white belt to 2nd kyu, was worried about a few and nervous for them all, especially for my brown belt. Luckily they did me proud and all passed with great effort.

Got a long list of things to work on and a new set of 3k's to teach but plan to have lots of fun first!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats to all of your students! Your nervousness for you students shows your concern and passion for their learning. I think thats great. Keep up the good work! :karate:

Congrats to all of your students! Your nervousness for you students shows your concern and passion for their learning. I think thats great. Keep up the good work! :karate:

I wholeheartedly concur here!! AWESOME!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We had 2 fun lessons this week with pads, bats and punchbag!

As always after a grading some stayed away but the keen ones couldn't wait to get back in the dojo - this sometimes gives you an indication of who will still be there later on - although it is a busy time of year with Xmas soon.

My Brown belt thought they had failed due to making a mistake in one Kata and not being able to correct it well enough when asked to repeat it. They were allowed it because the rest of the grade was good, first night back in training did the Kata perfect first time...

We had 2 fun lessons this week with pads, bats and punchbag!

As always after a grading some stayed away but the keen ones couldn't wait to get back in the dojo - this sometimes gives you an indication of who will still be there later on - although it is a busy time of year with Xmas soon.

My Brown belt thought they had failed due to making a mistake in one Kata and not being able to correct it well enough when asked to repeat it. They were allowed it because the rest of the grade was good, first night back in training did the Kata perfect first time...

During my Shodan test I was asked to do a Nunchaku kata. This particular for was a kata that no one liked, especially my instructor. Because of this it was not impressed upon me that it was something that I had to spend a lot of time doing. However, it was still in the system and I still had to do it. So I get up to the testing board which consisted of my instructor and 2 other people from another system that my instructor was friends with. I start this kata and probably did the first 5 moves correctly and after that did moves that I knew were in the system while adding some foot work that I knew was in the kata. I finished the kata and awaited the critique. I look at my instructor, who has an incredibly amused look on his face but says nothing. The main guest on the board, a grandmaster of his system, complimented me on my great technique and told me that my kata looked great and the other member agreed. The grandmaster asked my instructor what he thought and my instructor agreed, I had done very well, but he wasn't sure where I learned the kata because it wasn't what he taught me. He then asked if I could repeat it move for move and of course I could not.

The point of the story is that if you make a mistake in a form the best thing is to make it seem like you didn't. It shows our ability to improvise in a situation that we may not be familiar with. In your case the people on the testing board knew the kata and immediately saw the mistake because they knew what to look for but in a situation like mine, the only person on my testing board who knew the kata was impressed enough with my ability to make up something that would look like it went in the system.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/