• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Kicking Foot Orientation!!

Just for grins and giggles...

Our stances are more upright, so, our Kiba Dachi isn't as low and as wide as it is normal seen.

:)

Oh... I didn't realize that, Bob. I apologize. :) All the Kiba Dachis I've seen were at tournaments and they seemed way wide/long; so much so, that I didn't see the practical use because they looked too immobile to do anything...

Maybe your Kiba Dachi is closer in dimensions to Shiko Dachi or Jigotai Dachi..? :-?

Stances at tournaments, especially Kiba Dachi, imho, are much more wider than said practitioner would normally perform due to the air that surrounds said venues. It's the..."Look how wide/long my XTZ stance is!!".

Not as wide as Shiko Dachi or Jigotai Dachi either, more like, between those and Heiko Dachi, especially whenever executing our brand of Tuite. Now, we/I do use a standard Shotokan Kiba Dachi quite a lot on and off the floor.

But way wide/long...no!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chulgi isn't a pattern that we do. I do have a form that has the foot sweep motions in it, though, and I have been taught Naifanchi Shodan by sensei8. I'm interested in what the "shovel kick" is. I'm not familiar with that term.

Some people call it an "oblique kick." Conveniently, I made a quick-and-dirty, not-thought-out-in-advance video explaining it here:

Of course, as sensei8 said, it is just one of many applications :). And yes, all techniques really are only implied until you use them--that's a good way of looking at it!

That clarifies things, thank you. In Yoo Sin hyung, and in Naifanchi Shodan that I have done, we do the kick from what I call a sitting stance, looking forward, and the hand motions would resemble those that would pull the attacker to one side, as the leg comes up to sweep them. The approach you show here, coming from the side, changes things a bit, but the kick is very close.