• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Kicking Foot Orientation!!

Roundhouses!?!

When executing your styles taught roundhouse, what is you foots orientation of your kicking foot as it contacts said target?

The area of contact might, I said might, be dictated by the necessary part of ones kicking foot for one reason or another.

It could be inherent to the styles methodology and/or ideology. It could be a personal decision at very said moment. It could be to avoid and/or to go around said defenses. It could be one that's forced upon said practitioner by his/her attacker, and the way his/her attacker is forcing him/her to fight. It could be this or it could be that.

Whosoever proponents the orientation of ones kicking foot as it seeks out the desired target, imho, makes little difference to me; meaningless. What, to me, matters is that your roundhouse kick, as this topic, at its core, is addressing, is what?

EFFECTIVE!!

As always, GO THROUGH THE TARGET!!

Orientation must first protect ones foot from any possible injury, so changing said foots orientation just for the sake of being different is mute if injury possibilities are greater. Foot orientation that's incorrect can also injure ones knee by contact as well.

Effectiveness shouldn't hurt!! Respect body mechanics before trying to change how said kick is delivered.

Orientation!! Understand it for all that it is and what it isn't!!

Please, your thoughts!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say, it depends what context you are using it in.

In kihon, we tend to practice it with the foot straightened (toes curled under) making contact with the top of the foot.

This is probably because it is an effective way in Shiai kumite as it increases reach and is relatively safe.

Although this method carries some merit in a SD situation, again, depending on what you are trying to do and where you are trying to hit etc. a kick with the ball of foot (foot at 90 deg to shin) could be more appropriate.

Another area of importance is the very base of the shin/top of the ankle joint.

This is often the preference for full contact fighters as it is a happy blend of the two.

But ultimately yes, the technique behind the kick must be good, and your choice of foot position has to minimise the risk of damage to yourself.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Likewise, my answer is it depends on the context. Ball of the foot is more commonly used for us in technical work and it would be what we break with. But for sparring (sport) it is more effective to use the instep due to the extra reach.

For self defense, it depends on a variety of factors. A shin is probably most effective and easiest to use and depending on the shoes you are wearing, the ball of the foot might not be entirely possible and a instep kick would be a better choice.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Solid posts from Kusotare and DWx, I thank you for them!!

Not many times have I seen and/or felt the roundhouse with the ball of the foot, as like Shotokan, for example, and I believe that's because not many practitioners believe in its orientation, and in that, they prefer to contact with the top of ones foot more often than not.

A Shindokan roundhouse is delivered with the top of ones foot, and not the ball of the foot because there are solid reasons as to why the ball is used by other styles of the MA, but in Shindokan, we've, well, our Soke, had determined that the toes were more susceptible to injury and that, the top of our foot provided more contact surface.

As you say, it depends what context you are using it in.

In kihon, we tend to practice it with the foot straightened (toes curled under) making contact with the top of the foot.

This is probably because it is an effective way in Shiai kumite as it increases reach and is relatively safe.

Although this method carries some merit in a SD situation, again, depending on what you are trying to do and where you are trying to hit etc. a kick with the ball of foot (foot at 90 deg to shin) could be more appropriate.

Another area of importance is the very base of the shin/top of the ankle joint.

This is often the preference for full contact fighters as it is a happy blend of the two.

But ultimately yes, the technique behind the kick must be good, and your choice of foot position has to minimise the risk of damage to yourself.

K.

Great post here. Not much to add, really. I do think the various targets and how high the kick is going also lend to the determination of the orientation of the kicking foot. Higher kicks tend to be easier to pull off by kicking with the top of the foot, with the reach advantage. A shin kick to the head can work, but I think its tougher to pull off. I like to use my shins when I kick low, into the legs. A ball of the foot kick can work well in a classroom setting with bare feet, but with footware on, its a different monster altogether. But, if you have steel-toed boots on, orientation like a ball of foot kick provides a nice weapon that can be used to the body, or head, if you can get it there.

A Shindokan roundhouse is delivered with the top of ones foot, and not the ball of the foot because there are solid reasons as to why the ball is used by other styles of the MA, but in Shindokan, we've, well, our Soke, had determined that the toes were more susceptible to injury and that, the top of our foot provided more contact surface.

In Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia, he talks about a round kick with the ball of the foot being used from the opponent's "flank." I think this is due to the way the ball of the foot is exposed when the toes are pulled back. By flank, I think he means being at an angle to the attacker, so that the ball of the foot contacts, and the toes do not.

Just a thought.

In Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia, he talks about a round kick with the ball of the foot being used from the opponent's "flank." I think this is due to the way the ball of the foot is exposed when the toes are pulled back. By flank, I think he means being at an angle to the attacker, so that the ball of the foot contacts, and the toes do not.

Just a thought.

It's a thought, but not our Soke's thought, and I'm still liking Soke's thought on this.

Not all students can bend their toes back enough due to some physical limitation, and sometimes its the student not getting the fear of smacking said toes out of their mindset.

Some people do have a tough time getting those toes back. That's why when I do board breaking, I make sure to angle myself to the boards a bit, that way when I make contact, its the ball of the foot, and not the toes, making first contact.

Foot orientation in roundhouse kicks isn't really governed by our style--we teach a variety of striking methods. For those with flexible toes, roundhouse kicks with the ball of the feet work quite well, as they have good penetration and speed. For those with strong, sturdy toes, roundhouse kicks with the tips of the toes work well to soft targets. For everyone wanting to get the most power possible into their kick, the shin is the preferred striking surface. For speed and reach, the top of the foot is better. In our dojo, none of these is "wrong" or "correct," so long as they are used in the appropriate context.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

We teach both too, I can say that neither is wrong. One favorite technique is the roundkick to the inner thigh; this can be devastating with the ball of the foot; more so if you are wearing a steel toe capped boot! Our instep/shin kick can be just as powerful; the leg is kept straight; it's like a swinging baseball bat. This is the Muay Thai style weapon, where as I was first taught the ball of the foot version at a Shotokan Dojo.

Look to the far mountain and see all.