• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A very Late Hello!

guird

Hi everyone, I've been here a while already but only just found the introductions forum.

I've been studying martial arts for about five years now. the first three and a bit were Shotokan, though the dojo I was in was poor quality (no sparring, pad or bag work, and the Sensei taught a lot of things incorrectly). This time gave me an interest in martial arts, but I wouldn't count my training as having started in earnest until a little over a year ago, when I started visiting other clubs/gyms/dojos, all in all a very embarrassing ordeal which left me feeling dissapointed. I hopped from style to style for a while, a few weeks of taekwondo a few weeks of aikido, a couple lessons at a sport karate dojo, a lesson here of wing chun, there of krav maga, over here of jujutsu.

I recently returned to Shotokan on finding that there were dojos in my area that taught good karate. I'm currently also training BJJ and a little kickboxing.

My current rank in shotokan is ikkyu, though I think I still have a little catching up to do before I match the ikkyu of my new dojo (especially in sparring).

So that's my story, glad to be here.

edit: I made a mistake with the japanese naming of my rank earlier. I've fixed that.

Edited by guird

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate is without doubt the most popular style of Karatedo in the World. If taught well, it can be a vehicle for development as a martial artist that cannot be rivaled. Cross training is good, many of us do this; but I am a traditionalist, I would find searching for the "do" more of a challenge. Welcome to the forum, I look forward to hearing your views. Find peace under the Pine Trees my friend, Osu!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society