• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a Japanese karate instructor in UK

dani-san

I agree with Kusotare, you will be somewhat limiting yourself if you are only looking for a Japanese teacher. Being Japanese doesn't automatically mean they will be any good or a good fit for you.

If you don't mind me saying so, saying: "I don't mind the karate style or the location." is a little odd. The UK is still quite a big place with many 100s of Karate teachers. I think maybe you might need some idea of where is feasible for you to train. No good us suggesting a teacher in the outer hebrides if you are living in on the south coats.

I work from home so I can live wherever is convenient for me. Recently I decided that its time to move again and this time I said to myself that is also time to move closer to a good dojo. So not that odd...

Regarding the japanese instructor, I don't know why your experiences with some instructors were not positive but mine were all very very good.

Last sensei I trained told me that he used to train in his childhood in Japan for 8 hours a day. I think that's a reason for very good technique and dedication that you cannot find in a european instructor, with all due respect...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had good and bad experiences with both Japanese and Western instructors alike.

To an extent, if you were planning on training in a Koryu , I could understand your reasoning (however my Koryu teacher is British so that doesn’t hold much water for me either).

Karate is however a gendai art that is practiced globally by the good, the bad and downright awful and Japan is no exception.

You say you want to train with a Japanese sensei... Are you bothered what grade he is or what his teaching qualifications are?

If you work from home and you are flexible, have you considered moving to Japan to get the full experience?

I'm not suggesting you are one of these folk, but I know a lot of people that train with Japanese sensei just for the kudos!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Yeah, just because your instructor is Japanese/Asian/etc surely doesn't mean that they'll be better than those who are Western. When I say that not all black belts can teach, I'm including ALL types, no matter where they were born!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with Kusotare, you will be somewhat limiting yourself if you are only looking for a Japanese teacher. Being Japanese doesn't automatically mean they will be any good or a good fit for you.

If you don't mind me saying so, saying: "I don't mind the karate style or the location." is a little odd. The UK is still quite a big place with many 100s of Karate teachers. I think maybe you might need some idea of where is feasible for you to train. No good us suggesting a teacher in the outer hebrides if you are living in on the south coats.

I work from home so I can live wherever is convenient for me. Recently I decided that its time to move again and this time I said to myself that is also time to move closer to a good dojo. So not that odd...

Regarding the japanese instructor, I don't know why your experiences with some instructors were not positive but mine were all very very good.

Last sensei I trained told me that he used to train in his childhood in Japan for 8 hours a day. I think that's a reason for very good technique and dedication that you cannot find in a european instructor, with all due respect...

OK well that makes a little more sense.

I have had some very very positive experiences with Japanese (and Korean as I study TKD) teachers but I have also had fantastic training from European instructors who train just as hard and to the same level. Race has little to do with it. I'm part Chinese but that's not going to make me brilliant at Wing Chun or any other Chinese martial art. Anyone can train hard and no nationality will make an individual more or less likely to be a great martial artist or a great teacher.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've had good and bad experiences with both Japanese and Western instructors alike.

To an extent, if you were planning on training in a Koryu , I could understand your reasoning (however my Koryu teacher is British so that doesn’t hold much water for me either).

Karate is however a gendai art that is practiced globally by the good, the bad and downright awful and Japan is no exception.

You say you want to train with a Japanese sensei... Are you bothered what grade he is or what his teaching qualifications are?

If you work from home and you are flexible, have you considered moving to Japan to get the full experience?

I'm not suggesting you are one of these folk, but I know a lot of people that train with Japanese sensei just for the kudos!

K.

I agree with you here. I think there tends to be a perception that training in the East is far superior to training in the West, and I just don't think that's the case. Instructors have to be evaluated in order for the student to see if they will provide what they want out of instruction.

K.

I understand the core of your message, and I agree with almost everything...

Except, while Japanese Karate is a gendai art, the Ryukyuan / Ruuchuu (Okinawan) roots of Karate (i.e. Kobudo / Tode / Tii), were around before the Meiji Restoration. Although, since Ryukyuans are culturally/ethnically different peoples than the mainland Japanese, it is debatable as to whether the Okinawan arts (Kobudo / Tii / Tode) that existed since before the Meiji Restoration should be considered Koryu. It is also debatable as to whether any Karate practiced today in the modern era truly does things as was practiced by Ryukyuan Kobudo / Tode / Tii long ago; however, threads of it do exist (it's a matter of finding someone with the knowledge whom is willing to teach).

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Except, while Japanese Karate is a gendai art, the Ryukyuan / Ruuchuu (Okinawan) roots of Karate (i.e. Kobudo / Tode / Tii), were around before the Meiji Restoration. Although, since Ryukyuans are culturally/ethnically different peoples than the mainland Japanese, it is debatable as to whether the Okinawan arts (Kobudo / Tii / Tode) that existed since before the Meiji Restoration should be considered Koryu. It is also debatable as to whether any Karate practiced today in the modern era truly does things as was practiced by Ryukyuan Kobudo / Tode / Tii long ago; however, threads of it do exist (it's a matter of finding someone with the knowledge whom is willing to teach).

I’ve heard it suggested before that Goju-ryu is considered to be a “Koryu” by some, but I think this is somewhat tenuous.

Not trying diminish the provenance of such schools, but their raison d’être is different from that of the martial Ryu-ha of feudal Japan.

Application aside, it is my understanding that in order to qualify as a registered “koryu” (although opinions differ), there needs to be recorded history clearly denoting the transmission of the tradition (from one teacher to another etc.) that originates back to prior to the Meiji restoration.

Essentially it comes down to formal records of names, techniques and a structured syllabus that can be evidenced.

As I understand it, karate was taught and transmitted in a much more informal way in Okinawa.

The above said it doesn’t detract from the art at all.

K.

I’ve heard it suggested before that Goju-ryu is considered to be a “Koryu” by some, but I think this is somewhat tenuous.

Not trying diminish the provenance of such schools, but their raison d’être is different from that of the martial Ryu-ha of feudal Japan.

Application aside, it is my understanding that in order to qualify as a registered “koryu” (although opinions differ), there needs to be recorded history clearly denoting the transmission of the tradition (from one teacher to another etc.) that originates back to prior to the Meiji restoration.

Essentially it comes down to formal records of names, techniques and a structured syllabus that can be evidenced.

As I understand it, karate was taught and transmitted in a much more informal way in Okinawa.

K.

Agreed :) Okinawan Kobudo / Tii / Tode, even when practiced and transmitted by the nobility and royal families of the Ryukyuan monarchy, was more for civil defense than for the battlefield, and were done mainly in secrecy. Thus, formal recording of such arts weren't conducted because a "paper trail" would lead to discovery by authority figures. Certain arts were used on the battlefield, mainly Kobudo, but only in time of desperation, and not by a "formal army".

Good discussion... :) Thanks for the additional details of "Koryu"...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

K.

Agreed :) Okinawan Kobudo / Tii / Tode, even when practiced and transmitted by the nobility and royal families of the Ryukyuan monarchy, was more for civil defense than for the battlefield, and were done mainly in secrecy. Thus, formal recording of such arts weren't conducted because a "paper trail" would lead to discovery by authority figures. Certain arts were used on the battlefield, mainly Kobudo, but only in time of desperation, and not by a "formal army".

Kusotare, he knows his stuff!! Thank you for all that you do here, Kusotare!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to suggest that the teaching of Koryu schools was a public affair, far from it. They were actually quite secretive, with members often having to take a keppan or blood oath swearing never to divulge the teachings to anyone (amongst other things).

The mokuroku or catalogue of techniques was kept very secret and often in code - known only to members of the ryuha!

All this was there to support the transmission of the tradition from master to student on a perpetual basis.

This was quite different to the ways of the okinawan traditions.

K.

Edited by Kusotare