• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WMA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I've heard it's an absolute blast! As an amateur leatherworker and bladesmith, I've been involved with some SCA people a bit and done a little research. Heck, I even considered building my own 15th C Japanese kit and participating in the local SCA group :P.

I've started to see more and more Japanese influence at SCA events and I love it! They're usually very accurate and very well done.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Society for Creative Anachronism. They have some really fantastic armorers involved with them, and a lot of there events look like a ton of fun. From what I gather most of the fighting done in the SCA is largely either from people with EMA experience or people with no training that have no formal training and just did lots of research and sparring. There are definitely some fencers involved, though, and that helps bring in some traditional WMA rapier techniques.

I hear that a lot as well. Mostly it's a lot of enthusiasts who just love that period of time. You see a lot of scholars and people who just like to swing faux swords at each other (for good reason, it's a lot of fun). You have a a handful of EMA people and fewer WMA but from all reports it's a great time.

It is fun. A group of guys around here and I used to do it weekly. Lots of bumps and bruises to end up talking about, but it was a great time.

I don't have any practice experience in WMA, but it is a point of interest of mine, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject. The Association of Renaissance Martial Arts (ARMA) has a nice website that has information on searching out or creating study groups. It seems to be more available in larger metropolitan areas, though.

Please, keep us posted as you progress through your WMA practice!

I don't have any practice experience in WMA, but it is a point of interest of mine, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject. The Association of Renaissance Martial Arts (ARMA) has a nice website that has information on searching out or creating study groups. It seems to be more available in larger metropolitan areas, though.

Please, keep us posted as you progress through your WMA practice!

The ARMA is great! There are a lot more resources starting to pop up as well available either free or cheap online as well as a few more expensive books (expensive due to being out of print).

I'll definitely keep posting about it, it's great fun!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/