• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning Theory and Martial Arts

What's everyone else's learning style? Whilst I agree it is very difficult, it would be great if instructors could try to teach a technique in a variety of ways so that it can click with a variety of students.

What Danielle speaks here is solid. That's why I teach beyond my core style to my students. I teach them the Shindokan way, but in addition, I'll teach them said same technique from other styles that I've cross trained in via exchangements and such. One way is very limiting to any MAist, and to any style, imho.

My learning style for quite along time was restrictive because I was learning only one style, then I started to learn TKD, and then, I started to learn from whichever style of the MA that I felt would increase my MA betterment. What I didn't like, I discarded. To this day, I'm still searching many other styles of the MA that will improve my MA betterment.

:)

That's great that you do that Bob :) Certainly gives your students a rounded experience.

I also meant that even in say teaching a Shindokan side kick, it is good if instructors can teach this in different ways. So demonstrate the kick for the visual learners, talk about and discuss the kick for the linguistic learners, have students practice over and over again for kinesthetic and intrapersonal learners, group or partner work for the interpersonal learners etc. You are only teaching one kick and method but by incorporating all these into your teaching of the side kick, I think you eventually hit home with all styles of learning and each student has an opportunity to get that moment when it clicks.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's everyone else's learning style? Whilst I agree it is very difficult, it would be great if instructors could try to teach a technique in a variety of ways so that it can click with a variety of students.

What Danielle speaks here is solid. That's why I teach beyond my core style to my students. I teach them the Shindokan way, but in addition, I'll teach them said same technique from other styles that I've cross trained in via exchangements and such. One way is very limiting to any MAist, and to any style, imho.

My learning style for quite along time was restrictive because I was learning only one style, then I started to learn TKD, and then, I started to learn from whichever style of the MA that I felt would increase my MA betterment. What I didn't like, I discarded. To this day, I'm still searching many other styles of the MA that will improve my MA betterment.

That's great that you do that Bob :) Certainly gives your students a rounded experience.

I also meant that even in say teaching a Shindokan side kick, it is good if instructors can teach this in different ways. So demonstrate the kick for the visual learners, talk about and discuss the kick for the linguistic learners, have students practice over and over again for kinesthetic and intrapersonal learners, group or partner work for the interpersonal learners etc. You are only teaching one kick and method but by incorporating all these into your teaching of the side kick, I think you eventually hit home with all styles of learning and each student has an opportunity to get that moment when it clicks.

To the bold type above...Absolutely...I concur!!

In that, I'm aware, and I want my students to be aware as well, that one can only throw said side kick just so many effective ways.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...