• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning Theory and Martial Arts

I have taught Kata and I have observed several different ways that young people learn. Some absorb the movements and timing by numbers, 1, 2, 3 etc., others need to copy someone else next to them; I suppose they are visual mimics. Indeed retention of information and physical and mental data is the real issue; some students will forget the Kata instantly until the key to their processing and remembering mind can be found. Finding this key to learning was I think the focus of the video; the fact that everyone is different. The gentleman mentions 71 learning styles; I think that there are a lot more and not so easily definable.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata isn't for everyone, however, that shouldn't mean that kata's ineffective. Different strokes for different folks.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that's the gist of what I took away from the presentation. Some people might just learn better that way. And no matter how I would try to use alternate methods to convey the concepts we'd be working on, it wouldn't matter. That's just how some people would be wired.

The effectiveness of either modality is unimportant. How the student learns best it what matters more. In times past I've kept working and working to convey concepts thru the methods I've learned just because I view them as a more streamlined route. If that's true on not doesn't matter to an individual who would learn better via something like kata.

I think that's why it's good to have associations with all kinds of artists. I couldn't get thru to an individual like that no matter how hard I tried. But I could send him to a traditional coach I know and it would be much better for him. Probably my sanity as well.

If this has any bearing to our conversation, please let someone of noted qualifications speak on this subject.

"It is safe to say that karate begins and ends with kata. In kata, when one begins from the right, the same movement will be repeated to the left; upon moving forward, the same distance is traveled in return. If the right hand is used, then the left hand will be used in the same way; when the right leg kicks, then the left leg also will kick in the same way. In this way, the entire body is made use of without favoring any one part over another, enabling all the parts of the body to move in harmony and unity without speacial effort, and because each individual movement has meaning against an imagined opponent, it makes things all the more interesting." ~Gichin Funakoshi, "The Essence of Karate", page 101.

And in that,

"While karate is not something that can be easily conveyed and is difficult to explain without an actual demonstration, a characteristic that distinguishes it as karate is that it cannot be commercialized or adapted for competition. Herein lies the essence of Karate-do, as it cannor be realized with protective equipment or through competitive matches" ~Gichin Funakoshi, "The Essence of Karate", page 102.

Are these mindsets only valid in his days? No, imho, it is still valid today.

"While karate is not something that can be easily conveyed and is difficult to explain without an actual demonstration, a characteristic that distinguishes it as karate is that it cannot be commercialized or adapted for competition. Herein lies the essence of Karate-do, as it cannot be realized with protective equipment or through competitive matches" ~Gichin Funakoshi, "The Essence of Karate", page 102.

That's a really powerful quote. I'm actually blown away.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I think that's the gist of what I took away from the presentation. Some people might just learn better that way. And no matter how I would try to use alternate methods to convey the concepts we'd be working on, it wouldn't matter. That's just how some people would be wired.

The effectiveness of either modality is unimportant. How the student learns best it what matters more. In times past I've kept working and working to convey concepts thru the methods I've learned just because I view them as a more streamlined route. If that's true on not doesn't matter to an individual who would learn better via something like kata.

I think that's why it's good to have associations with all kinds of artists. I couldn't get thru to an individual like that no matter how hard I tried. But I could send him to a traditional coach I know and it would be much better for him. Probably my sanity as well.

I agree. There are those who learn better visually, and those who learn better by being read to and then answering questions, and I'm sure there are a lot of layers in between. I think part of being an instructor is being able to learn to read yours students, and figuring out how they best learn, and adapting your curriculum to them so that they can learn.

That said, with so many styles of learning, its important to be exposed to so many styles of teaching, which can be difficult. If you take the flip side of the coin here, that people can learn in different ways, and have trouble adjusting to different modalities of learning, then teachers that teach a certain way may have trouble adjusting their teaching style to accomodate certain students.

This isn't a bad thing, and it shouldn't be viewed as a "its better or worse" thing. Its different. And the exposure to different ideas and ways of doing things is how we learn what our preferences are and how we choose to approach things.

Great share, Alex. Thank you.

I agree. There are those who learn better visually, and those who learn better by being read to and then answering questions, and I'm sure there are a lot of layers in between. I think part of being an instructor is being able to learn to read yours students, and figuring out how they best learn, and adapting your curriculum to them so that they can learn.

That said, with so many styles of learning, its important to be exposed to so many styles of teaching, which can be difficult. If you take the flip side of the coin here, that people can learn in different ways, and have trouble adjusting to different modalities of learning, then teachers that teach a certain way may have trouble adjusting their teaching style to accomodate certain students.

This isn't a bad thing, and it shouldn't be viewed as a "its better or worse" thing. Its different. And the exposure to different ideas and ways of doing things is how we learn what our preferences are and how we choose to approach things.

Both posts here at very solid posts across the board!!

:bowofrespect:

It's all learning styles isn't it. I think there are 7 or so recognised styles and everyone falls into at least one (usually several) categories; linguistic, logical, visual, intrapersonal, interpersonal, musical, kinesthetic. According to this I'm 94% logical which I think reflects in the way I personally learn MA:

http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-learning-styles-quiz

What's everyone else's learning style? Whilst I agree it is very difficult, it would be great if instructors could try to teach a technique in a variety of ways so that it can click with a variety of students.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

What's everyone else's learning style? Whilst I agree it is very difficult, it would be great if instructors could try to teach a technique in a variety of ways so that it can click with a variety of students.

What Danielle speaks here is solid. That's why I teach beyond my core style to my students. I teach them the Shindokan way, but in addition, I'll teach them said same technique from other styles that I've cross trained in via exchangements and such. One way is very limiting to any MAist, and to any style, imho.

My learning style for quite along time was restrictive because I was learning only one style, then I started to learn TKD, and then, I started to learn from whichever style of the MA that I felt would increase my MA betterment. What I didn't like, I discarded. To this day, I'm still searching many other styles of the MA that will improve my MA betterment.

http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-learning-styles-quiz

Mine came back as 50% linguistic, with the rest being in the 30 or 20 percents.