• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yoga and the Martial Arts

I followed my wife to a Yoga class one day. The class is easy going, most of the members are retired ladies. The teacher is a very athletic middle aged lady. I am one of three men that go regularly. Every time I leave, I feel stretched, fit and full of energy. The exercises are as challenging as you want to make them, I have made good progress but I have a long way to go to consider myself to be even a seasoned beginner. It has been quite a discovery for me, my Karate Sensei has seen a great difference; I am relaxed and more responsive in class. Has anyone else any experience of Yoga? I know that it has the same root as many Martial arts, I find it beneficial; I wonder if it's my age?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of our advanced kyu students is 50 years old and has been doing Yoga for several years (5+ I think). Each time it's his turn to begin class with warm-ups, we end up doing a various array of Yoga stretches. I always find it a nice change of pace to our warm-ups and workouts, and I do feel more relaxed and energized... :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Yoga is part of my training plan...definitely helps with balance, flexibility, and core strength! I also include it in my cardio classes...adding dynamic resistance to keep heart rates up when needed, and as a cool down after kicking their butts!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Yoga can challenge a student in ways that they had never thought about. And that's a good thing because we all need to be challenged often.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Excellent news Harkon72. I rate Yoga very highly and though I no longer attend a class, try to practice it as part of my weekly routine. I've always found it very helpful for martial artists.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I did Yoga for almost 5 years until I switched to Pilates a year ago because of my wife. Yes Yoga is very beneficial in everyday life and wil supplements MA in a lot of ways.

100X is better than 10X

I did Yoga for almost 5 years until I switched to Pilates a year ago because of my wife. Yes Yoga is very beneficial in everyday life and wil supplements MA in a lot of ways.

How would YOU say that Yoga differs from Pilates? I ask because I've not much experience and/or knowledge concerning Pilates other than what I've read from time to time.

@ sensei8,

I think they have the same goal and the only difference is in their specific objectives. I noticed that in Yoga you focuses on the union of body, mind and spirit (it differs also on the many styles of Yoga) as well as the relief of pain and stress through some specific Yoga poses. Pilates primarily intend is to correct or maintain proper posture through appropriate elongation of the spine and improvement of one's core strength as it uses an exercise centered approach. Proper breathing and meditation is aimed by both but Yoga focuses on the breath process deeper than Pilates does. Yoga utilizes the nose both in inhalation and exhalation whereas in Pilates uses the nose for inhalation and the mouth for exhalation.

100X is better than 10X

@ sensei8,

I think they have the same goal and the only difference is in their specific objectives. I noticed that in Yoga you focuses on the union of body, mind and spirit (it differs also on the many styles of Yoga) as well as the relief of pain and stress through some specific Yoga poses. Pilates primarily intend is to correct or maintain proper posture through appropriate elongation of the spine and improvement of one's core strength as it uses an exercise centered approach. Proper breathing and meditation is aimed by both but Yoga focuses on the breath process deeper than Pilates does. Yoga utilizes the nose both in inhalation and exhalation whereas in Pilates uses the nose for inhalation and the mouth for exhalation.

Solid post and I thank you for its clarifications on the two.

In my opinion, yoga is a great component / complement in any martial arts training program. In addition to the flexibility and calming effects of yoga, which obviously benefit martial artists, yoga help deepen one's awareness and understanding of himself/herself. This awareness is very helpful in promoting faster learning of martial arts concepts, techniques and forms.