• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vladimir Putin now a 9th dan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not going to get into a political debate about the past Sombo Fighter Vladimir Putin. For some he is a Hero, David Cameron is a Hero for some too. I suppose it all depends on your point of view. These Honorary awards really puzzle me, on one hand I can see their value; but on another they're no more than a gesture of gratitude. But showing appreciation is never a bad thing.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

To be fair, it is an honorary one. The reasoning - self interest by the WTF. That said, Putin at least trains and some bits I've seen are better than say WMAA videos, that have recently gone from YouTube. Shame, they were such a laugh.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I've seen some fellow Kukki-TKD folks get very upset about this. "How dare they give him a 9th Dan (even if it's honorary)."

The reality is it's an honorary rank, it's not like he'd legitimately call himself 'grandmaster.' Like an honorary doctorate given to a graduation speaker at a university graduation, it doesn't imbue them with a title or honors. No alum from a unversity would say, "I can't believe they gave an honorary doctorate to (this or that) person!" Because the honor itself is not important. If they didn't like the person they'd say, "I can't believe they invited so and so to speak."

We in MA get bent out of shape about the oddest things, sometimes. IMO

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've seen some fellow Kukki-TKD folks get very upset about this. "How dare they give him a 9th Dan (even if it's honorary)."

The reality is it's an honorary rank, it's not like he'd legitimately call himself 'grandmaster.' Like an honorary doctorate given to a graduation speaker at a university graduation, it doesn't imbue them with a title or honors. No alum from a unversity would say, "I can't believe they gave an honorary doctorate to (this or that) person!" Because the honor itself is not important. If they didn't like the person they'd say, "I can't believe they invited so and so to speak."

My sentiments exactly. Honorary belts / degrees don't equate to proficiency in the subject. I will say however that from personal experience competing in Russia, it does seem that Putin and his government are very supportive of the martial arts.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The honorary BB is a nice sentiment, but it's often misunderstood by its receivers. They think there really are that, when they're not at all.

:wink:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My sentiments exactly. Honorary belts / degrees don't equate to proficiency in the subject. I will say however that from personal experience competing in Russia, it does seem that Putin and his government are very supportive of the martial arts.

Agreed. With the WTF being tied up in politics like it is, like it has to be, in order to remain an Olympic sport, things like this won't likely go unoticed by the IOC. And, the idea behind Martial Arts is that it can cross cultural and political barriers, etc etc.

He also does hold rank in Judo, so the guy is a Martial Artist at least. Congrats to him on this honorary title.

Agreed. With the WTF being tied up in politics like it is, like it has to be, in order to remain an Olympic sport, things like this won't likely go unoticed by the IOC. And, the idea behind Martial Arts is that it can cross cultural and political barriers, etc etc.

He also does hold rank in Judo, so the guy is a Martial Artist at least. Congrats to him on this honorary title.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!